Dieting for Mountain Training and weight loss

It's interesting reading everyone's comments:
Referencing the first reply, there is no reason to starve yourself of protein, unless u want to lose strength. I heard a world record was set at the vegan Olympics, a guy lifted his arms above his head lol.
Another interesting read is 'eat right for your blood type' makes a lot sense.
Personally I never worry about weight, I could lose a couple pounds, but I'm 5'8" 200lbs, and wear jeans with a 33" waist, I wore a 32" in high school, but putting effort into physical conditioning carries a guy for a long time with minimal effort, but I'm hitting the point no I actually need to work out to physically hunt as hard as I want to for the day lol

That's great to hear although I don't understand this bit in your 1st sentence.
That's point I was making in the start of my post.
Basically people should just concentrate on a balanced diet, avoiding the negative things & exercising.
No so called 'diet' just good living.

About 90% of people who go of 'diets' pretty much put all the weight back on that they lost within 6 months!

I was just explaining a way to drop weight ,not giving a life style, I to plan to keep myself in better shape after looking the extra pounds, I'm 69 and would still like to use 30 some years of sheep points here in colorado. Sorry if you didn't get the drift of the statement, take care.

nicholasjohn, thanks for your post. I read Protein Power years ago but will look for Body by Science.

I'm pretty enthusiastic about this workout program, and I highly recommend it. I think there's a way to swap contact info on this forum, if you'd like to get in touch. If you know how to do that, let me know and we can look each other up.

I was just explaining a way to drop weight ,not giving a life style, I to plan to keep myself in better shape after looking the extra pounds, I'm 69 and would still like to use 30 some years of sheep points here in colorado. Sorry if you didn't get the drift of the statement, take care.
Don't get me wrong, I mentioned I think you have done well.
Losing weight isn't the test, its keeping it off which is my point which you don't seem to understand!

All good, wish you well in your life journey :)

All great advice. One little tip. Try changing only one thing at a time. Incorporate it as part of your lifestyle. It will take longer to see the final results, but they will last the rest of your life.

Those of you who are serious about exercise and fitness help me out here. I need a reason to change my diet and preparing for a high country elk hunt seems like a good reason.
I'm about 25 lbs over weight and I'm getting close to 40. I'm planning on hunting elk in western WY this year, pending a tag, I hate waiting on the draw results... Anyway I suppose it would be a good idea to start getting in shape and preparing physically for the hunt. I started last week rowing and walking on the stair climber with a 30lb pack. It's not the same as rucking in the mountains but it's as close as I can get during lunch break, so It will have to do for now. When it warms up I'll go outside and climb the hills near my house.
I have never been good at eating healthy. I have always compensated for my over eating by exercising more. However at this point in my life o don't have time for that and it takes hours to work off what it takes seconds to eat.
What do those of you who eat healthy do to stay on track when no one else around you eats right?
Eating properly is the most important ingredient,as the saying goes you can't out exercise a bad dieat.With that said read the ingredient labels and pick snacks without high fructose corn syrup & refined sugars. Many of the things we think maybe loaded with these ingredients. Add the exercise and you will be good to go. Have a great trip,

All great advice. Digest all of it as everyone has a preferred system and decide what initially will work for you. As you proceed you will ultimately change your routine. The bottom line to all of the above is to cut out the sugar, salt, carbs, reduce the portions at meals, and exercise paying attention to core and legs. That means walking, walking, and more walking ultimately with a pack with some weight and find hills, steps at the local stadium etc. Drink two glasses of water at each meal - one before and one after. The biggest meal should be breakfast; the smallest should be dinner and no snacks thereafter- no snacks at all. Dinner usually looks like six ounces of meat, lots of broccoli or some vegetable, and one half backed potato. These are all of my goals and have not come easily, but it works for me. I used to be a runner, but that takes it toll as you age. Take it from me it will ultimately ruin your knees. No one does this over night. One step at a time. Whatever steps you initially take, you will notice a difference in two weeks. You'll also need some help at home from your better half, if you have one to cooperate with the meals and keeping the snacks out of the house. You'll both benefit, and you will have more energy and feel the difference. It is just paying attention to what you are putting in your mouth, but you will soon develop some good habits. Don't wait on the weather to go outside. You are in S Dakota so you have an opportunity to experience quite a variety of weather conditions. Get used to all kinds of conditions as you may encounter the spectrum. Anyway I got carried away, but you will have a much better time if you are fit. Good luck !!!

What works for me is just to eat something about the size of my fist. And stay away from sugar and bread. More fruit and veggies and meat but the meat don't think to hurt me either.

1. Cut out the obvious, easy, empty calories. This would include soda, candy, and fried carbs, e.g., chips and fries.
2. Little by little, gain better control of your portions.
3. Since snacking is your stated weakness, have some healthy snacks on hand. Carrots, celery, green pepper sticks, etc.
4. Stop eating at six or seven p.m. Brush your teeth. Tolerate being slightly hungry at bedtime; realize you won't be hungry when you wake up.
5. Make small changes and give em time to become normal to you. Except for #1, do that one mercilessly.

Years ago I read a book called Fit or Fat. It said that morning exercise ups your heartrate for the rest of the day and helps burn calories. When I was your age, just cutting out ice cream and Cokes was enough for me to lose weight. Walking with a pack is the best exercise I've found for getting in shape for the mountains. A product called Endurox R4 works magic for building your endurance. When I was doing the Forest Service pack test (walking, not running 3 miles in 45 minutes with a 45 lb. pack) my times increased noticeably when I started taking Endurox. It also helps at the end of the day to prevent muscle soreness. Good luck on the draw.

Diet is certainly very important, but also do not forget about special supplements, because it is very difficult to lose weight on your own. I weighed about 120 kilograms two months ago and I was able to lose only 20 kilograms on my own, and in order to lose weight further I had to use supplements and I'm even glad that I learned about SARMs. This is a really cool supplement that allows you to lose weight very quickly. I have been using it for two months and I was just happy that I was finally able to lose weight and change my body. If I hadn't read the review on stoneathleticmedicine.com, I would never have dared to use this supplement!

Last edited:
I use an app that I enter everything I eat and exercise. I recently cut all white foods and beer from my diet to get in better shape for hunting season. I'm eating around 14-1600 calories a day. I have lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks while not really changing the exercise, just the intake. The first bit of fat always comes off fast. Most of my diet comes from what I learned doing South Beach diet but I don't follow it as rigidly as they recommend- although that diet has always worked for me, basically not much carbs and low glycemic index foods. Strength/cardio 3x week for 1 hour.