Dieting for Mountain Training and weight loss

Lots of good advice in the previous posts. Can be pretty much summed up as follows:
Restrict simple carbs by replacing sugary and refined flour foods with non-starchy, fiber rich vegetables and nuts such as almonds, walnuts, etc.
Resistance exercises (weights or body weight) 3 days a week. On "resistance" days get at least 1/2 hour of moderate cardio such as a fast walk.
Keep stair climbing with a weighted pack. Use a weighted back for your hikes outdoors to strengthen your ankles, knees, feet.
Keep an open mind especially regarding your diet. You'll find that as you progress, you will develop a taste for natural foods like raw veggies, lean meats, etc.
Hang in there! The first week is tough but it becomes easier and enjoyable after that. Some side effects of all this: better, sleep, fewer episodes of cold and flu, a general sense of well being, and increased virility. You are young so you will see rapid results.

This will work for anyone. I am in my late 60's, 6-6 and 220#, still running around the mountains like a fool.

Good luck! - I hope you are successful on the draw and in the mountains.

I'm there with ya, 5'11" and 230, I have stout legs from years of hiking these mountains your hopefully gonna see this fall, but also a gut. I eat healthy food, rarely eat fast food anymore, mostly wild game and veggies of some kind for dinner, with mixed in chicken and fish, but I eat too much of it, and stuff myself. Thankfully my job keeps me walking stairs all day....winter is a bad time too because it's too cold to go for runs/walks outside that I love to do, but it's starting to warm up. I plan on starting to lower my calorie intake and continue my active life, and hopefully drop down.

Also, keep in mind cardio!! When you draw your tag, we will be hunting between 8500 and 10,000+ feet elevation depending on weather and where the elk are hanging out, and the air gets thin. I live at 7,000 ft elevation, so I am somewhat accustomed to it, but even I notice the thinner air when I get up higher.

Having a fitbit or something like that could help, it will at least remind you, and then you will think what you are working for, and that reminder helps.

Hope ya draw the tag, will be good to meet ya and hopefully take out a few elk!!

Yah I'm excited to get to meet you and hunt some elk. I am definitely concerned about cardio and the high elevation. I live at 3500 ft and I definitely notice a difference when going up high. I got altitude sickness when I was backpacking in NM as a teenager and that's something I would not wish on anyone. I'm going to be prepared for this hunt. I don't want to be miserable!

Temporary fasting has worked well for me, Ive always been a snacker - try snacking on almonds, sunflower seeds/raisins, etc.

I have stopped sugar entirely.

once I got the 16/8 fast thing down my portions went way down, you'll be surprised just how little food your body really needs to run.

Here's my motto for diet - if she flies in the air, walks on this earth or swims in the sea I'm eating it! If it doesn't do any of those 3 I stay away from it!
I like that, what do you think about things green and from a tree?

So not drink any of your calories. Do not drink/eat anything with an artificial sweetener or highfructos corn syrup. That means you will be drinking nly water, tea, coffee. When you want a snack look to low sugar or homemade jerky, protein will slow your digestion; the little bit of fat in it will satisfy your cravings better than anything. When you exercise something with free weights is better than machines of any type. BOSU BALL burpies, look it up, are Dynamite! I do three sets of 10 (with the push up and overhead jump press) every other day. Any exercise that uses your arms and legs at the same time is perceived as being easier while burning more calories than you think; it also works your core automatically. I do hill bounding with my XC ski poles, (Google it) that will get your burn going. Learn to cross-country ski! Checkout if you want to look and perform like a Biathalete (shoot and ski) one of the hardest sports on Earth!
I'm 71 years young and can still ski and shoot although my 25k time is now 3 hours and a few minutes at 5,600'!

Pint of whole fat Chocolate milk within 30 minutes of an honest one hour workout will help speed your recovery. Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate with water only unless you are just adding electrolytes for two hour endurance workouts and above. Endurance workouts should never be done at a level harder that you can't talk normally.

Good luck, You can do it!

Lots of good advice in the previous posts. Can be pretty much summed up as follows:
Restrict simple carbs by replacing sugary and refined flour foods with non-starchy, fiber rich vegetables and nuts such as almonds, walnuts, etc.
Resistance exercises (weights or body weight) 3 days a week. On "resistance" days get at least 1/2 hour of moderate cardio such as a fast walk.
Keep stair climbing with a weighted pack. Use a weighted back for your hikes outdoors to strengthen your ankles, knees, feet.
Keep an open mind especially regarding your diet. You'll find that as you progress, you will develop a taste for natural foods like raw veggies, lean meats, etc.
Hang in there! The first week is tough but it becomes easier and enjoyable after that. Some side effects of all this: better, sleep, fewer episodes of cold and flu, a general sense of well being, and increased virility. You are young so you will see rapid results.

This will work for anyone. I am in my late 60's, 6-6 and 220#, still running around the mountains like a fool.

Good luck! - I hope you are successful on the draw and in the mountains.

That above has pretty much summed it up. I am 6' and was 215. Cut Carbs and sugar (NO BREAD, oatmeal, pastas) lean Meats, veggies, fruits. Excess Carbs are the biggest problem that convert to sugars and store as fat. Just changing how you eat is big. It will take a few weeks to adjust your body and thinking. Of course the other things taste good and are comfort food, that's why we eat them. remember it's all will power, if you want to do it you will. Reality for me was I work nights and have 2 side jobs with kids in sports and not a lot of spare time to workout so, a better diet is key. I went from 215 to 190 on eating different. Also keep in mind those protein/ meal replacement shakes that have been mentioned also mostly contain soy which is known to suppress testosterone which is important during wright loss( just a thought)
Good luck

Those of you who are serious about exercise and fitness help me out here. I need a reason to change my diet and preparing for a high country elk hunt seems like a good reason.
I'm about 25 lbs over weight and I'm getting close to 40. I'm planning on hunting elk in western WY this year, pending a tag, I hate waiting on the draw results... Anyway I suppose it would be a good idea to start getting in shape and preparing physically for the hunt. I started last week rowing and walking on the stair climber with a 30lb pack. It's not the same as rucking in the mountains but it's as close as I can get during lunch break, so It will have to do for now. When it warms up I'll go outside and climb the hills near my house.
I have never been good at eating healthy. I have always compensated for my over eating by exercising more. However at this point in my life o don't have time for that and it takes hours to work off what it takes seconds to eat.
What do those of you who eat healthy do to stay on track when no one else around you eats right?

please provide your current diet, eating routine, and caloric intake.

I used to be a distance runner and I had a polar heart rate monitor that I loved. However, the chest strap broke and I haven't used anything like it in a decade. I know lots of people who love their fit-bits that's probably something that would help me stay focused on the daily aspects of fitness.
Many of the later model Polars don't require straps and even work in the pool.

That's the real motivation! My problem there, is I have this arrogance that remains from when I used to be an athlete. I just assume I can do anything without much effort, but now im learning that I need some humility...

That bites me too.... I was Naval Rescue Swimmer and amateur triathlete in my 20's-30's, my body does not respond the same now. I can't go as hard, but I can find my groove and go as long! That calorie deficit is critical... maintain a deficit and the weight comes off even without exercise. Tracking what you eat and what you burn is the key.

On the altitude sickness... hydrate hydrate hydrate. The mountains will fool you and dehydrate you without you even realizing it. the other thing I do is make sure to follow an aspirin regimen. It helps to thin the blood just enough to make a tiny bit of difference and help you acclimate faster.

Here in Missoula we are about just over 3000 feet, on average, the areas I hunt are anywhere from 6-10K. I really don't notice much change but altitude sickness, like so many other things is a unique experience for each person.

Last edited:
Im a chef, not a dietician but have done all this before.
The biggest thing it yes you are working towards a timeline/specific goal but what happens when that is over?
Do you go back to your old habits & put it all on again?

Weight control is much more a mental thing & you need to think of making this a total lifestyle change rather than losing weight for just one occasion.

The best thing going for you is at nearly 40 you will be able to get your metabolism working fast for you than if you are older at say 50.
Its about going back to wholesome foods, smaller portions but eating more frequently like 5 times a day.

Reduce simple carbs, sugars, processes foods.
If you eat carbs make them complex like brown rice, whole grains, things like beans, chic peas & pulses/legumes which are high in protein & low in fats.
You can cook these while adding plenty of veg & other meat portiens like chicken or fish are great & reduce red meat but its ok to have a steak as a reward now & then.

Plenty of green vegetables like broccoli, kale, cabbage etc in particular but the others are good as well, reduce starches like potato as they are empty calories.
Salads are great to, just watch out for things like mayonnaise etc that are high in fat & go with an EVO vinaigrette dressing.

Dairy is still important, but look for the low fat options, lite yoghurts, lite milk, low fat cheeses like ricotta & cottage are good.

Obviously fried foods are out, breads, pasta's, white rice etc, if you use fat in cooking make it extra virgin olive oil

Be careful with fruits & fruit juices, some can contain a lot of fructose, look at low fructose options.

If you want to snack, snack on some small amounts of nuts, banana & berries with low fat yoghurt, low fat cheese with celery & carrot sticks etc.

Don't forget that you need to allow some rewards for yourself otherwise you can easily lose focus & revert back to old habits, but don't do a Homer Simpson & eat one piece then gorge the whole thing.

Exercise is important but needs to be mixed, cardio will burn for fat that resistance but resistance is also necessary as well.

And back to the mental thing, if you have a bad day & slip up don't take it out on yourself with guilt as this will lead possibly just dropping all you have been trying to gain.
Recompose yourself the following day & stay determined & re focus.

In the end its all about balance, you just have to have a look at the food pyramid to see how we should eat pretty much all the time.

Good luck @Timnterra :)

Edit: Oh yeh I forgot alcohol, reduce it if you can but I know its hard to avoid it all together 😁

Last edited:
Those of you who are serious about exercise and fitness help me out here. I need a reason to change my diet and preparing for a high country elk hunt seems like a good reason.
I'm about 25 lbs over weight and I'm getting close to 40. I'm planning on hunting elk in western WY this year, pending a tag, I hate waiting on the draw results... Anyway I suppose it would be a good idea to start getting in shape and preparing physically for the hunt. I started last week rowing and walking on the stair climber with a 30lb pack. It's not the same as rucking in the mountains but it's as close as I can get during lunch break, so It will have to do for now. When it warms up I'll go outside and climb the hills near my house.
I have never been good at eating healthy. I have always compensated for my over eating by exercising more. However at this point in my life o don't have time for that and it takes hours to work off what it takes seconds to eat.
What do those of you who eat healthy do to stay on track when no one else around you eats right?

I just went off a diet, I lost 60# in 3 months and 1 week. Go to Roger Raglin outdoors and join his web site, cheap, he is not selling anything but his subscription to his web site, $9 a month I think, you only need it long enough to watch his videos and take notes. I never thought I could do what I did, from 42" jeans to 3 6" , no bs. One of the best things on his forum was a salad dressing recipe called Woods double OO. Just follow his instructions.
A piece of cake! That will be your reward .😉

I just went off a diet, I lost 60# in 3 months and 1 week. Go to Roger Raglin outdoors and join his web site, cheap, he is not selling anything but his subscription to his web site, $9 a month I think, you only need it long enough to watch his videos and take notes. I never thought I could do what I did, from 42" jeans to 3 6" , no bs. One of the best things on his forum was a salad dressing recipe called Woods double OO. Just follow his instructions.
A piece of cake! That will be your reward .😉

That's great to hear although I don't understand this bit in your 1st sentence.
That's point I was making in the start of my post.
Basically people should just concentrate on a balanced diet, avoiding the negative things & exercising.
No so called 'diet' just good living.

About 90% of people who go of 'diets' pretty much put all the weight back on that they lost within 6 months!