Diet

I also do CrossFit as often as my body can handle. Recovery is very important when doing this type of training to avoid getting hurt.

Lets talk diets and which/how you all diet to prepare for season.

We all know that we run, ruck, weight training, intervals, ECT. But I never see anyone talk about diet.

Myself, I'm not a master genius by anymeans. In my family genes, we gain fast but can lose 20lbs in a month by just running. So that part is nice.

I go through a yearly (really a monthly) weight change. During the summer months when I'm playing semi professional baseball I'll get myself down to the 190lb mark which is a good weight for me. I'm 5'11" and have a stocky build. I have to sometimes get XXL just so it'll fit my shoulders right.

But during the hunting season I'll get clear up to 220lbs (not even joking) entered January 1st at 228. When I'm hunting I'm eating a ton of food. Mountain Houses mainly for meals but also around the elk camp I'm drinking beer. Even though I'm doing 10 miles sometimes per day I still gain the weight.

Now with diets ive tried everything. Keto, Atkins, caveman, supplements ect ect.

Trying to see if there's one I havent tried that will help KEEP the weight off. Definitely tired of doing the same diets only to gain it back lol. And I'm also hitting the gym atleast 4 times a week. I try to do 6 but ends up being no less than 4.
For the rest of your life...
1 - Stop drinking alcohol, period. One sip of any alcohol STOPS all fat oxidization in the body for 24 hours no matter how hard you workout. Zero booze on the fat cutting phase. Its terrible for you anyways. You can't outwork drinking alchohol. You're wasting your time.
2 - No milk or creamers, its for babies. #1, Lactose (sugar) easily converts to fat in the body. #2, milk promotes inflammation in the body. You don't need it or want it.
3 - Eat less, move more. Pretty simple. Stick to lean cuts and veggies, nothing processed, eating six 300 calorie meals a day. It'll come off. Lay off the carbs for at least 6 months, you can add some back in when you reach or return to a level of athleticism. I eat no larger meal portions than the size of my hand. That's about 300 calories with a piece of meat and dark green veggies. Careful with the cooking oils, lots of calories in them. You can't outwork a poor diet.

Last edited:
In addition to all the above, the scale diet is effective. Weigh every day and adjust your intake according to the loss/no loss shown on the scale.

You have to find what works for you, everyone is different; however, I don't think you can go wrong with the modified Paleo idea with intermittent fasting. I've also cut out sugar/alcohol or anything that converts to sugar in my body. I would suggest cutting out any and all vegetable oils as well, olive/avocado and edible tallow are all okay.

There are many good and true suggestions after looking through this thread. I have attempted many of these and most have worked for a while. My problem is my addictive nature and lack of will power. I love working out but also love eating. I am realizing after some testing and keeping track of what I eat is I am experiencing problems(foot allergies) with certain foods I consume. I have always done well sticking close to a Paleo diet. My wife and I are gearing up to try this whole30 thing. It is similar to Paleo. After past issues and what I have been experiencing lately with different foods I need to put my mind to this and stick to it. If for nothing else to figure out the foods that are hurting me(all ready illuminated most).

I'm currently trying to rapidly loose weight..but with goal of keeping off. Blood pressure is through the roof and I'm essentially a pre-diabetic.
Walking the line tighter than Johnny Cash.

When I was into body building ..I was doing the paleo thing before it was cool and worked really well for me.

2 big things that help...do your cardio in the am when body is pulling from reserves, then weights in afternoon when fueled.

I normally don't like pushing products . But the my fitness pal (using for nutrition tracker) has really been an eye opener when keeping up with stuff. My "healthy snacks" on midnight runs weren't actually that healthy

After the craziness of my gym closing last year, not eating quite as clean- I am back to working out 5 days a week, intermittent fasting and low/no carbs, sugars etc. It's amazing how much better I feel, sleep better, more energy and dropping lbs. I know everyone's body reacts different, however I know what works for me- now if I can stay the course...

As above, I started counting carbs and was shocked on how much I took in on a daily basis. I dropped that down to about 20 carbs a day. About once or twice a week, I take in zero carbs, Carb cycling. Just doing that, I dropped 40 lbs pretty quick and weighed less than I did in college. I eased up a little, but I'm back to counting and limiting carbs for next elk season. I did almost zero exercise and my body responded really well to this. I will combine exercise this go so I'm more prepared for the fall. If we get to hunt.

Started the whole 30 program 3 days ago. My body must be starved for carbs and sugar right now as I am wrecked after fighting fire yesterday and a long field day today. Trying to Eat as many calories as I can on this program but am only physically able to get 1,800-2000 calories in a day! That is eating as much protein and veggies as I am physically able to. Half dozen hard boiled eggs through out the day, lean deer steak or chicken for lunch, and the same for supper(eating till stuffed),With snacks of mixed nuts as well. I'm getting around 140ish grams of protein a day. I would like to get that number closer to 200. I'm a decent size guy at 225/6.1 and on other systems I needed to have around 2,200 calories to loose weight, not maintain. Weird thing is, is that I am not really hungry and find it hard to finish my meals. This may be a good thing! I'm not really doing this to loose weigh. I am trying to figure out my food allergies and get my digestive system right for once. Loosing some pounds would be nice. Found I was shot yesterday and today and could not lift or do cardio. Hoping that changes and I can stick with this for the whole 30 days. If anyone has any advise I'm all ears! I can provide updates if anyone else has any interest in the whole 30 program?

Belldar.
Girl I work with did the whole 30. Her and her husband swear by it.. once she got everything figured out, she gave me a couple of the cook books..I have a well earned reputation for a terrible GI tract.
Will sometimes literally have to pull over on the side of the road and run for the trees even with an exit a 1/4 mile up the road.

Belldar.
Girl I work with did the whole 30. Her and her husband swear by it.. once she got everything figured out, she gave me a couple of the cook books..I have a well earned reputation for a terrible GI tract.
Will sometimes literally have to pull over on the side of the road and run for the trees even with an exit a 1/4 mile up the road.
im not that bad yet, but have a good friend that way. Turned out he had the real deal Gluten allergy. He can not go near Gluten now and feels good doing so.
The night before last and yesterday morning I felt terrible! Almost didn't even leave the house. Got myself going even Though I was having muscle spasms and cold sweats. Around noon I started to feel real good! Weather was awesome yesterday at 65 and no wind, spent the whole day out working and feeling great. Best I have felt in along time! Maybe I had been going through a detox state and finally came out of it?

Update:
Last day of my whole 30 experience was yesterday. Man it was hard starting out with this program! Felt shot every day for the first two weeks of it. Thought about ending it going Into week 3 as I was just not getting any energy. Had lost some weight but the energy just wasn't there. Read some reviews and some just couldn't do it and I thought that might be me. Didn't want to be a quitter and give it a fair shot so I kept on with it. Have to admit I am very glad I did! The last week my energy has been great. Been kicking butt on workouts and feel better. My guts are way better but not completely great. I have dropped 12 pounds at least of fat and probably more due to eating a crap load of protein and gaining muscle mass. I sleep well and am rarely hungry or have cravings for things. My endurance is up and I'm find I don't get winded as fast as I used to. We were at two parties this last week and I didn't feel like I needed anything to satisfy my hunger Out of the normal foods I was eating.
I and the wife are really hoping we can keep eating like this and incorporate a few things back into our diet. Got to have my home made sausage and brats! A protein shake once a day would help as well. Some of the condiments and things we ate will stay in our diet as they are really quite good and good for us. It is actually real easy to eat this way and it dose not restrict how much you can eat. The problem can sometimes be eating enough calories in the day! Try getting 200 grams of protein naturally A day! Lots of eggs! I love eggs but eggs every single morning dose get old. Any way I though I would share how it ended and that I hope I can keep eating clean for the most part. I have tried a lot of different programs and diets in the past and this one was by far the easiest besides the lack of energy the first two weeks. It is also one of the few I have used that I actually seen results. If I can get rid of a bit more pudge I may finally get ripped🤣😂

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.