Die Upgrade for 7mm

bkondeff

I have a few med quality RCBS and Hornady dies that have worked fine so far, but if I were to try and step things up from my usual FL dies?

Bushing die? Which kind?

What seater will give me the best runout? Seems like if I start it straight the die seats it straight, but need a die that helps aligh.

Which source to order from as I don't have any sources for premium dies in Boise, ID.

For the best runout, I get a Forster FL sizer and have the neck honed out on Forster Hardinge collet lathes.
I do not use the expander ball /decapping stem.
I sometime use a Lee Collet Neck die. This sizes referenced to the inside of the neck, so the runout in neck thickness does not cause a runout in bullet concentricity.
I use a sliding seater die.
Unless I use one of my non standard tight neck reamers and turn the necks, I avoid "S" type dies.

This is all to please the concentricity gauge.
The plain jane RCBS die with the expander ball taken out can load ammo better than I can shoot.

If you want the best performance from bushing dies, you'll need to start turning your necks to get uniform neck wall thickness. If you don't turn necks, the bushing dies are no better than standard FL dies.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.