Die Recomendation for 6.5 CM

I tested out a few rounds (10 each) for effects of Full length Sizing, Bump Die and Collet Neck sizing as well as Body Die and Collet Neck sizing.

I used the Redding Competition Shell Holder set to set case Head Space.

I seated them with a Forster Bench Rest Seater Die.

I checked for bullet Run Out on each type with the 10 loads each. The results were:

Full Sized with Forster Die was the best with .0005" to .0015" with the majority .001" or below.

Body Size with Redding Die and Lee Collet Neck die ran .0005" to .0015" with the majority between .001" and .0015"

Lee Collet and Forster Shoulder Bump was .0015" to .005" the majority were .003" and down.

Not a lot of difference with full length and Body size Collet Neck size, but just Neck sizing does leave a bigger variance.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing your results..

I recently got a 6.5CM and have just the cheap Redding 2 die set. I am shooting Berger VLD hunting, Berger Elite Hunter and Hornady ELDM's. I am getting better results with the Hornady's than the Bergers. Is this possibly due to the seating stem on my standard dies? Is it worth the money to upgrade to a better more expensive set of dies?, and if so which kind?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

I have a Redding Premium die set. I wasn't impressed with the runout I was getting. When I called Redding, They told me that it doesn't come with a VLD seating stem. I was loading VLDs. I suspect the non VLD seating stem is the reason I was getting less than stellar results but haven't investigated it further.

John

Last edited:
You could order directly from Forster and have them hone the dies neck to your desired diameter. It will about the same cost as buying a die and paying postage both ways to Forster.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.