Die quality

Good

Gents, is there really a good reason to spend 2 or 3 times as much on dies? I mean, I am shopping around for reloading equipment for a Savage 110 FCP in .338 Lapua Magnum and the simple RCBS dies like I use on the old '06 and 7mm Rem Mag are only $35.

Basic Redding dies are $90 and Forster Bench Rest are $83...

Sure, the dies may be better, but what kind of performance gain could I expect out of THIS rifle spending more on better dies? I mean it seems like a waste of money that could be spent on powder/primers/bullets, etc... Please give your opinion. I will spend the money if it is truly worth it.

I have no problem getting very tight groups with my RCBS and Hornady dies. But I often think about getting Forester dies for all of my rifles. But I could get a very nice rifle for the price of doing that. Lol. I have an excellent press that takes alot of the credit for tight groups..

I have more RCBS dies than any other brand and like them for full length sizing of standard cartridges.

But once you really get into re loading you will want to tweak your dies to get the best accuracy from your ammo and with the better/more adjustable dies you can do this.

You have heard people complaining about full length sized ammo being to tight to chamber and with non adjustable dies so they grind the bottom of the die to allow it to "Bump the shoulder".

With the adjustable dies you can set them to do the minimum sizing, a standard full length sizing and even a small base sizing for Semi Autos.

So the fully adjustable dies are like three dies in one and if accuracy is your bag/goal, well worth the extra cost.

You don't have to buy the fully adjustable dies to get good accuracy, but they make it easier.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

RCBS works just fine for many people, are they as nice as the more expensive ones, no. its the same for most tings in the world. Just like tools will the tools from walmart work, yes. Are they as nice as a set of snap-on, mac, ect. no but both will get the job done

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.