Did I really mess up my first bedding attempt

matth89

So I used marine Tex and paste wax. I waxed the bottoms of the action and screws really well. However when I placed the action and screws it looked like it pushed a glob up into the inside of the action. How screwed am I ?

Attachments

• C27D5685-04A8-43C5-8A11-837744F736E8.jpeg
    C27D5685-04A8-43C5-8A11-837744F736E8.jpeg
    694.3 KB · Views: 1,095
So I used marine Tex and paste wax. I waxed the bottoms of the action and screws really well. However when I placed the action and screws it looked like it pushed a glob up into the inside of the action. How screwed am I ?
You used too much bedding media. Try to scrap everything out and then look at some U-tube videos on bedding actions.
As long as you can get the bedding off before it dries you can save it and just start over.

After I saw this I so wish that I could be there to help you out!

Hopefully you got it cleaned off in time. I imagine there should be some residual oil or lube in the inside of the action to so you should be able to scrap off any bedding material in the inside too.

I did all my projects many years ago way before the internet. You will be just fine if you took apart and scraped everything out before it dries.
Before you start the next time please contact someone that has done this before.. There is a bunch of instructions out there.
Len & Jill

Last edited:
Happens all the time.
Just be sure to use plenty of release agent on the receiver feed ramps and up inside where the displaced epoxy will go.
Technically, I guess it's "too much"- but I intentionally use "too much" bedding compound. If you don't have squeeze-out everywhere, you may end up with voids. I'd rather do clean-up, than have to re-do because of voids.

Everyone should remember that heat solves all problems with epoxy. Even if that lump of epoxy had cured, 15 or 20 seconds with a propane torch would de-bond and soften it for easy removal. It's really not, an "OMG!" panic moment...