Did I really mess up my first bedding attempt

Some. Epoxy. Resin. Chemical will. Shrink When. Freezed! Remember when Remington used to glue in 40 XBBR barreled actions into synthetic stocks. In order to remove the barreled action from the stock it was often necessary to put the entire gun in a freezer for 48 hours and then remove it quickly and use leather mallets to break the barrel action out of the stock. That trick may help you if you've already glued everything in. I hope you have not done that

A friend of mine many years ago showed me how he used the Brownell's bedding guide screws. He places a washer on them on stock and then adds one of those starlock washers that lock when you push them onto the bolt. They secure the stock tight and he just pries them off by placing blade screw driver between them and the other washer so no damage to stock. I've never tried it but it sounds like it would do the job.

It's a lot easier to pop that blob out with an action screw after it dries than to spend an hour with picks and I-tips trying to get in behind the lugs and clean around. I don't put release agent inside the action and I have never had a blob stick. Some pop off harder than others but all have popped off. The times I've tried to clean it up wet it made a heck of a mess and I got bedding all around in the action. That's a much bigger PIA than popping the blob out after it's dry.

I use bedding guide pins so this doesn't happen. I screw the headless pins into the action then I apply wax to everything and buff it off 3 times then I put my barreled action into the marine Tex and I use tape around the front of action and back and this will give you a stress free bedding job. I don't use the stock screws at all

Too late now, but you should have used clay to temporarily seal openings where the epoxy could create a lock. Too late now, but you should have used a gazillion Q-tips to clean out the inside of the receiver before the epoxy hardened.

My goodness. In today's world and access to the internet you should have watched several videos on this before attempting. I surely hope you got everything out. Remember your stock was made for that action. You don't need much bedding material. Just a bit in front of the barrel lug and a spot on the tang area and that should be good. You can always add more if needed to other areas.

These are what I use with surgical tubing to pull the action down into the stock.

Stock-Inletting-Guide-Screws.jpg

Bedding Guide Screws
I do a similar approach and the surgical tubing works really well. Is very useful for all kinds of bedding and stock repair issues.

So I used marine Tex and paste wax. I waxed the bottoms of the action and screws really well. However when I placed the action and screws it looked like it pushed a glob up into the inside of the action. How screwed am I ?
Been there and done that. Lots and lots of q tips!

I keep waiting for matth89 to repost that all is good now. Fingers crossed. My OCD will be on high alert :)
All is good. I thought I reposted yesterday but may have not. And I did watch plenty of videos and researched for awhile before my first attempt. I obviously still screwed up and in the process of getting the faction in and screws got the epoxy in there. I got it all cleaned out and got some long screws yesterday and cut the heads off like some recommended. Currently on attempt #2 and it's looking good just waiting for it to all cure. Thanks for the input from everyone. Live and learn lol

Recent Posts