Did i order a discontinued Sightron siii ??

stokley1

I ordered a new scope online from opticsplanet, and i am currently still waiting on it in the mail. Heres the catch. I started reading several forums, and found warnings that opticsplanet is selling old discontinued models from 2008, instead of the new improved sightron siii. Does anyone have any info on this subject. I hope that its all just BS and my brand new scope comes in the mail. Below is the letter i sent to opticsplanet.com . I will let you guys know what i end up with in the mail. and if its not the scope i want. How opticsplanet.com fixes the problem Wish me luck!!!

Letter to optics planet.
I just noticed that the Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm Riflescope that i ordered from opticsplanet.com appears to be a five year old discontinued model. I hope that i am wrong. I have not yet recieved the scope by mail yet, but was warned on a website that you guys were selling old scopes. When i read the reviews for the scope on opticsplanet.com one made me excited. here it is. Sodak Jim wrote:
great optics and tracking in a package that seems more like a Nightforce product. No lash in the side focus like my Leupold VX-III 6.5-20X50 Varmint Hunter. Huge, 100 inches of adjustment" ill stop the review there. Where it says "Huge, 100 inches of adjustment". When i began researching this issue i started looking at the details. I found some pictures of the new scopes and they look different than the old scope. The pictures of the old scopes appear to be the same pic used on the add for your website. and i feel like i should have caught it before,but it plainly states the windage and elevation adj as Windage Elevation (in.): 50E/60W. on your website. not like the review above where the customer is so happy with his "Huge, 100 inches of adjustment". I went to the Sightron website, and you guys are one of their online dealers. They do not advertise a scope with the specs of the one you sell. Their site brags about the 100 inches of windage and elevation adjustment. I was under the impression that opticsplanet.com was selling an up to date current product, not a product that was discontinued in 2008. I am very excited about recievng my scope soon in the mail, and hope that the internet rumors are not true. I was hoping i could get a response on this issue, and that opticsplanet.com could give me the good news. That i have nothing to worry about, and that im not purchasing a 5 year old scope that got discontinued in 2008. I have heard nothing but good things about your customer service. Thank you so much for your time. I look forward to a response.

I have several Sightron SIII 6-24x50 scopes,and don't know of any that were discontinued.They may have been upgraded at different times.
I know that they came out with the Exposed Tactical style turrets and the MOA-2 reticle a couple years ago,but the SIII LR series has been the same for years.
I have 3 LRMD scopes from different years 2009/2010,and 2 with the Exposed Turrets and the MOA-2 reticle.

They did discontinue several SII series scopes when they came out with the Big Sky SII scopes,I do have a SII 4-16x42 that was discontinued when the Big Sky scopes were made.

I don't buy from Optics Planet,so I couldn't tell you about their service.There are too many others that beat their prices by a bunch!

i would have prefured my new sightron to have turret caps. i thought it would but it didnt.
its the moa reticle scope 6-24. the reticle is a bit faint in some light too.
the other one i have is a s2 bigsky 6.5-20 the mildot reticle id more solid/darker. the turrets have caps, but the turrets are not as good as the s3. the s3 has better feel and more positive clicks.
other than that, there good scopes/

oh, the flip up lense caps with the s3 are crap. too loose and cant be flipped up without coming off.

Well i received my scope today. Brand new. So Opticsplanet.com shows the specs for the old discontinued version. but sells the new improved version. I let them know there info is out of date. They didnt seem to care. Oh well im happy. Later

I've had a SIII 6-24x for a while now and I love the scope.
So I ordered a SIII 8-32x and I'm wondering if it's an older model scope.
Some of the lettering and designs are different between the 2 scopes, but I bought them about 4 months apart.
I tried to find a date stamping somewhere on the scopes and boxes, but couldn't find anything.
Is there a way to find out the date of manufacture?
Call the factory?

Last edited:
There should be a serial# on the bottom of the scope. If not its an old scope. If you call Sightron at 916-562-3000 they will tell you the Date it was made. I have spoke to them several times. They never put me on hold, and are happy to help.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.