Did I have unrealistic expectations?

Ghost7

Hi all, I am new to this forum but have followed it for a while. In short I just purchased a new rifle with aspirations of working my way up to 1000 yds. I purchased a savage model 12LRP in .243. I put a vortex 6x24 Viper PST on for eye wear. This rifle has a 26" fluted bull barrel with a 9.25" twist. Trying to do everything right I followed one of the many break in procedures with first box of shells being factory loads, Winchester Ballistic Silvertips 95 gr. it took about two hours to get through first twent rounds with cleaning in between. The average of 4 five shot groups was 1.022". Okay, I was disappointed but still with a lot of hope. I then started on some reloads with 90 gr Nosler Spitzers working through different charges. After 48 rounds of various loads and a few fouling rounds after cleanings I had groups ranging from 1.1"-2.1" groups. Disappointed still I had my wife pick up some more factory rounds from Walmart while she was grocery shopping. These were winchester 80 gr jsp. They grouped an average of 1.1". All the research I did on this rifle and posts on different forums I read I should be getting 1/2" groups or at least sub moa for most bullets ranging from 70 gr to 105gr. I understand a little about twist and how each gun has its own preferences but I didn't think after all I have heard and read about this particular rifle I honestly thought it would be a tack driver out of the box, at least sub moa. Is this an unrealistic expectation? I have other rifles that are strictly hunting or sportier rifles that shoot sub moa groups with various sized factory ammunition. I buy one based on accuracy and it doesn't shoot as well as my hunting rifles. Do I contact savage or is this a finicky rifle? Any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Savage factory barrels need to also get some rounds down them before they start showing there potential. They need powder and copper laid down in them, not saying they need to be filthy, just not clean.

Granted I only have less than a hundred rounds through the savage and I know I am prematurely judging the rifle but does what I described in previous post sound abnormal at all for a rifle of this caliber? I know that by many standards that this is not a top shelf rifle but I figure it is a solid start for getting my feet wet without spending an insane amount of money. All the posts I've read about other savage owners and their experiences out of the box I feel as if I got a lemon providing the info I have read is accurate. Just trying to circumvent lots of frustration in the future if it is a realistic thought that maybe this particular rifle was made on Friday at 3:00.

Welcome to the forum. Rule out the ammunition before final decision on the rifle. Buy match quality ammunition and give it a try.

I appreciate the replies. I will have an opportunity to shoot this weekend and will post my results.

I agree with the prior posts. My LRP in 260 started out with 1" groups. Once I found the right load, it has averaged .25MOA since. That was 700+ rounds ago. I just wipe it out with a few patches of Hoppes every couple of hundred rounds.

The average of 4 five shot groups was 1.022"
Considering you were doing a break in procedure and cleaning too much during the range session I would say you have a rifle that shoots great. It will do even better once you find what it really likes.

Think about it this way. Imagine you had put up a 1" square black paster on your target and shot 20 rounds of factory ammunition all of which either cut or were in the black. Would that be acceptable precision and accuracy to you?
If this rifle were being reviewed in a shooting magazine and the author got the results above he would probably rave about the fantastic accuracy of the Savage LRP.

To be honest I hadn't looked at it with that perspective. A very good point. I guess sometimes we put too much stock in others experiences and I guess to be honest I was just hoping for superb results right off and hoping more of just fine tuning then reinventing the wheel. I do believe though that hard work eventually pays off. So we will see. I will make it to the range this weekend and see what happens.
One thing I didn't mention in my original post is that after a fouling shot each round fired kept trending to the left as barrel heated up. The poi consistently moved left in my five shot groups. Keep in mind the barrel was just warm and NOT hot. In the time it took to clean, reload and start on a new target my poi would start close to poa and then trend left again. Weird. Has anyone seen this before? So basically my groups were all spreading from right to left more so than in elevation with all reloads and factory ammo. Hmm!

Here's what I would do. I would make sure that all bolts (action, base, rings) are torqued appropriately using a torque wrench/driver (the fat wrench is awesome). Then make sure the barrel and the tang are free floated. Once you have done this work on technique and a load the rifle likes. You have a pretty nice setup there's no reason it shouldn't tighten up for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.