did I anneal too long or what else is going on?

Please see picture. I am getting this small dent on resizing my once fired brass which I also annealed. I used tempilac to time how long I should anneal but I also noticed some of the pieces of brass starting to faint glow orange so I think I went too long. I checked my die and there is nothing inside causing the dents when sizing and not all the pieces are doing this. Im thinking the case neck wall is collapsing because it is too soft. Are these no longer safe to use? This would be a total bummer as I did about 75 pieces this way. Thanks....
To much lube on cartridges

Please see picture. I am getting this small dent on resizing my once fired brass which I also annealed. I used tempilac to time how long I should anneal but I also noticed some of the pieces of brass starting to faint glow orange so I think I went too long. I checked my die and there is nothing inside causing the dents when sizing and not all the pieces are doing this. Im thinking the case neck wall is collapsing because it is too soft. Are these no longer safe to use? This would be a total bummer as I did about 75 pieces this way. Thanks....
Nope you didn't.....dies are hydraulicing.....too much lube.....wash the die under boiling water and check the vent hole in the die to see if it's plugged....easy fix Big

Redding doesn't usually have a vent hole. An RCBS might.. but either will still hydrophilic if there is too much lube. Blow them out and load them again :)

It's too much lube and the location of the lube. I uses the RCBS for years and had that frequently happen especially with large cases. Three years ago, I switched to imperial wax and completely eliminated the issue. Apply a small amount to the neck and body without applying it to the shoulder and your problem is solved.

Good luck and enjoy.

Could also be the die vent hole is stopped up

Trash them.
The red glow u saw means they were too hot. Necks and shoulders are now too soft which aids in giving u a dent because of excessive lube as many have said.

They're probably ok to shoot but accuracy will suffer and any consistency is lost because of over annealing.

Buy some quality brass and a good annealing machine and start all over.

U are correct on magnum cases to anneal them after every firing. Think about it, if annealing is properly done they are very consistent with neck tension and shoulder bump which is why we anneal to begin with. Good luck

Those look like hydraulic dents from too much lube.

Trash them.
The red glow u saw means they were too hot. Necks and shoulders are now too soft which aids in giving u a dent because of excessive lube as many have said.

They're probably ok to shoot but accuracy will suffer and any consistency is lost because of over annealing.

Buy some quality brass and a good annealing machine and start all over.

U are correct on magnum cases to anneal them after every firing. Think about it, if annealing is properly done they are very consistent with neck tension and shoulder bump which is why we anneal to begin with. Good luck
This is incorrect information, He didn't say red he said " Faint Orange" which is the indication of a perfectly annealed case, He doesn't need to throw anything away and he doesn't need to buy a machine or quality brass, He's doing a fine job with what he has, No offense intended

This is incorrect information, He didn't say red he said " Faint Orange" which is the indication of a perfectly annealed case, He doesn't need to throw anything away and he doesn't need to buy a machine or quality brass, He's doing a fine job with what he has, No offense intended
And I second your motion Bean!

I have used a RCBS lube pad for 30 years and haven't had that problem. How much lube are you placing on the pad. If I am neck sizing I only roll the necks of the cases. I place the lube lightly on the pad. The only thing is using the lube in cold weather it doesn't come out very easy. Build up in the die can create a problem and they need to be clean from time to time.

There's a LOT of bad responses here!!! Most ALL are saying to over-anneal!
A slight glow in a darkened room is too much. Red glow is crazy too much!
Red glow dropped into water will, indeed give you the "dead soft annealed" condition you'd want if forming new cases from slugs of case metal alloy. You can get back to proper by working the brass several times. Size/deprime a few times to get the neck hardness back. May be a lot of work. How much is your brass worth?

What you need/seek is a slight blueish tint (oxide) around the shoulder. That indicates it's softened enough to form easily, but still elastic enough to grip the bullet. Look at new GI ammo brass.

Don't believe me? The info is widely available from many sources.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.