did I anneal too long or what else is going on?

6.5prc. MAP gas torch. About 4.5 seconds is how long it took for the tempilac to melt away.
That's very similar to my 6.5CM, 308win and 270win. I find I get more annealing out of a can of MAP vs Regular propane (yellow vs blue bottle)

Attachments

• F07B9925-9646-4387-8FCE-DABA7E01F25F.jpeg
    F07B9925-9646-4387-8FCE-DABA7E01F25F.jpeg
    921.7 KB · Views: 82
Please see picture. I am getting this small dent on resizing my once fired brass which I also annealed. I used tempilac to time how long I should anneal but I also noticed some of the pieces of brass starting to faint glow orange so I think I went too long. I checked my die and there is nothing inside causing the dents when sizing and not all the pieces are doing this. Im thinking the case neck wall is collapsing because it is too soft. Are these no longer safe to use? This would be a total bummer as I did about 75 pieces this way. Thanks....
Dont use spray lube, it gets on the shoulder.

Please see picture. I am getting this small dent on resizing my once fired brass which I also annealed. I used tempilac to time how long I should anneal but I also noticed some of the pieces of brass starting to faint glow orange so I think I went too long. I checked my die and there is nothing inside causing the dents when sizing and not all the pieces are doing this. Im thinking the case neck wall is collapsing because it is too soft. Are these no longer safe to use? This would be a total bummer as I did about 75 pieces this way. Thanks....
I think u r ok to load, shoot and all will be well. Cut down on lube! My question is, why are you annealing once fired cases?

Too much lube when full sizing or decapping..
Happened to me..

I was told on magnum cases to anneal every firing especially something like a 28nosler which is another rifle I shoot.

I just tried resizing and being mindful of lube amount and no more dents. It is just weird as this has never happened to me before but I'm using a wipe on type lube instead of spray and maybe went overboard.
Try sinclair sizing wax, just need tiny amount. I have had this happen with spray lubes, dont use anymore for that reason.

I was told on magnum cases to anneal every firing especially something like a 28nosler which is another rifle I shoot.

I just tried resizing and being mindful of lube amount and no more dents. It is just weird as this has never happened to me before but I'm using a wipe on type lube instead of spray and maybe went overboard.
Another question. Who told you to anneal magnums after each shooting? That sounds nuts to me!

I was lubing the shoulder. I stopped doing that and now all is good. I am still a bit worried I annealed too long. Any idea of the consequences if I did? The bases/case head definitely did not get to hot as I used the socket technique to prevent them being exposed to high heat and then I dropped straight into a water bucket.
There are tons of videos on how to anneal what r u using

If you have quality dies and get a good seal with the lube, that can be due to an air bubble. As the case goes up into the die, air cannot escape and this can happen. I have a set of Warner tool does that we had to drill a vent hole into for this same reason.

I use the RCBS lube pad with the RCBS lube. I have found that ANY lube on the shoulder area is too much and can cause those dents
Definitely looks like to much lube, if you are using the pad, squirt a little lube onto the pad and rub it in with your finger and spread it around o when you roll the cases over it you get a very fine amount on the case if you can see excess lube it's way to much, also not sure why you annealed once fired brass.

OP
FWIW, I anneal my brass first thing. Before cleaning or resizing...
steps:
Anneal and dump into
Sonic cleaner, X3 8min cycles then hot water rinse
resize, trim,
lyman tumbling media
Check/clean primer pockets and chamfered edges.
I load my primers here and the Store in cool dry.

It's really easy to apply too much lube (no giggling anyone), we've all done it I reckon, so don't sweat about it.

My first impression is too much lube.
Second is looks like the edges of the shoulder into the body might be starting to mushroom.? Back the die off some?
Clean your die.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.