did I anneal too long or what else is going on?

Make sure peep hole on your sizing die is clean. I clean mine out after I'm done using it every time
I had that happen to me in the corn media tumbler. Never in the sizing die. And my brass was not annealed. I assume it was too much media and too many cases in my tumbler and they were pushing on each other. An assumption, not a fact

Where the blue flame is contacting the brass, if the flame begins to turn orange/yellow at the contact surface, that's the point zinc is burning out of the brass. Adjust your process accordingly. You need to reach temperature quicker, generally.
This kind of stuff is why I am fixing to order an AMP annealer. If someone is looking for annealz annealer I am about to get rid of mine, lol.

This is one you want to split with a group of reloaders. That and a Labradar.
I have a magnetospeed 3 that works wonderfully in conjunction with my wiser mount or else I would have purchased a Labradar. I don't really know many people near me who reload like I do. A few but they do it mainly for 1moa hunting groups for 200 yard max wood hunting and could careless about annealing haha.

I was lubing the shoulder. I stopped doing that and now all is good. I am still a bit worried I annealed too long. Any idea of the consequences if I did? The bases/case head definitely did not get to hot as I used the socket technique to prevent them being exposed to high heat and then I dropped straight into a water bucket.
Is your socket turning while you heat the case ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.