did I anneal too long or what else is going on?

Bigeclipse

Please see picture. I am getting this small dent on resizing my once fired brass which I also annealed. I used tempilac to time how long I should anneal but I also noticed some of the pieces of brass starting to faint glow orange so I think I went too long. I checked my die and there is nothing inside causing the dents when sizing and not all the pieces are doing this. Im thinking the case neck wall is collapsing because it is too soft. Are these no longer safe to use? This would be a total bummer as I did about 75 pieces this way. Thanks....

Attachments

• Anneal issue.jpg
    Anneal issue.jpg
    703 KB · Views: 2,184
Are those cases safe to shoot to get the bulges to flatten out? I don't feel like I'm over lubing but maybe I am.
Should be. But then again you have doubts on how you annealed. How about using the same resizing process on a case you didn't just anneal and see if it does the same thing?
I'm not sure why you're annealing once fired brass either.

Should be. But then again you have doubts on how you annealed. How about using the same resizing process on a case you didn't just anneal and see if it does the same thing?
I'm not sure why you're annealing once fired brass either.
I was told on magnum cases to anneal every firing especially something like a 28nosler which is another rifle I shoot.

I just tried resizing and being mindful of lube amount and no more dents. It is just weird as this has never happened to me before but I'm using a wipe on type lube instead of spray and maybe went overboard.

I use the RCBS lube pad with the RCBS lube. I have found that ANY lube on the shoulder area is too much and can cause those dents
I was lubing the shoulder. I stopped doing that and now all is good. I am still a bit worried I annealed too long. Any idea of the consequences if I did? The bases/case head definitely did not get to hot as I used the socket technique to prevent them being exposed to high heat and then I dropped straight into a water bucket.

Appears something on outside is getting baked on,Lube?. They almost look like they were not annealed long enough. Picture is little deceiving, I have forwarded pictures of annealed brass before and they didn't show well on camera. Squeeze the brass with your fingers and see how ductile it is. Probably give you a better idea

Appears something on outside is getting baked on,Lube?. They almost look like they were not annealed long enough. Picture is little deceiving, I have forwarded pictures of annealed brass before and they didn't show well on camera. Squeeze the brass with your fingers and see how ductile it is. Probably give you a better idea
I annealed after cleaning them in my wet tumbler (of course letting them dry first) so not sure anything could have been baked on. Maybe I flamed them too long and that's how they look being in too long? Squeeze with my fingers? I'm not sure I'd be able to tell what they should and shouldn't feel like.

I annealed after cleaning them in my wet tumbler (of course letting them dry first) so not sure anything could have been baked on. Maybe I flamed them too long and that's how they look being in too long? Squeeze with my fingers? I'm not sure I'd be able to tell what they should and shouldn't feel like.
Your annealing job looks fine and the soft orange glow is a good thing

Please see picture. I am getting this small dent on resizing my once fired brass which I also annealed. I used tempilac to time how long I should anneal but I also noticed some of the pieces of brass starting to faint glow orange so I think I went too long. I checked my die and there is nothing inside causing the dents when sizing and not all the pieces are doing this. Im thinking the case neck wall is collapsing because it is too soft. Are these no longer safe to use? This would be a total bummer as I did about 75 pieces this way. Thanks....

if you shoot them be sure to back off couple grains.

Next time you anneal just leave them in the flame until they are glowing red, before they cool take a hammer and whack em. Then you'll know they have softened and you're good to go! 😆😆
it's hydraulic denting from too much lube. You may have excessive lube in the die. Pull it apart and clean it up real quick. Then lube a little less and you'll be good. The brass is fine, shoot it and it will form back out to the chamber.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.