Did 6.5 PRC obsolete the 6.5 CM only to be made obsolete?

Who is going to buy a 6.5 CM vs with the 6.5 PRC available now?
I would veiw the PRC as just giving me more options. I could be way off on this though.
Shiny bubbles.
Don't have either, and won't. Prefer the 7-08 over the 6.5 CM. When Savage starts to offer a 6.5 PRC in the Axis line, then there might be credence to your thoughts. However, they do offer an Axis in 280 AI -- why would I want to diddle with a new cartridge?
Marketing hype. Let's revisit the topic in 15 years.
I've never understood the issue of short vs long actions. Different geometries, very little difference in ergos (IMO), relatively same end result.

Shiny bubbles.
Don't have either, and won't. Prefer the 7-08 over the 6.5 CM. When Savage starts to offer a 6.5 PRC in the Axis line, then there might be credence to your thoughts. However, they do offer an Axis in 280 AI -- why would I want to diddle with a new cartridge?
Marketing hype. Let's revisit the topic in 15 years.
I've never understood the issue of short vs long actions. Different geometries, very little difference in ergos (IMO), relatively same end result.
The 280ai is steadily increasing in popularity. Has been for over 10 years. Sort of perfectly combines 270 and 30-06 strengths in one package. Same goes for the 7 SAUM. I am certain that it will not cause the 270 or 30-06 to go obsolete. Nobody that I hunt with has ever heard of it.

7-08 has excellent bullet options and recoil is manageable. Less recoil than the 7mm mag. More energy/speed than the 308. Very effective on big game. I have taken elk out past 500 yards. Better bullet ballistics than the 6.5 cm. But not by much. Shot placement is the deal breaker. 6.5 PRC like all the wsm calibers suit someone's preference. If the terrain and shots require LR shots 450 and beyond I pack my 300WM with 200gr Barnes LRX. Yes there are others who may disagree with my choice. But at 74 years old. A 100% Disabled Vietnam Combat Veteran, and 64 years of hunting experience. I believe knowledge, skills and abilities to get the job done over all those years has served me well. The Smoking lamp is lit, Smoke em if you have them! SEMPER FEDELIS

I don't have a 6.5 prc but I have 3 creeds and 3 6.5x284 the creed has 2x the barrel life easy. The creed is here to stay and I believe the prc fitting in a short action gives it a spot. Neither are going anywhere soon

I was recently looking to buy a new rifle for myself. I specifically wanted a 6.5CM because of the duty usage of the rifle. I'm on the East Coast Southern Appalachian mountains (foothills)..so a long and rare hunting shot is 300yrds, and MUCH more commonly 125yrds. I probably shoot around 2500 rounds a year across several calibers, from 50yrds to 1500m. I can afford to buy what I want, but I specifically did not want a barrel burner, so I never looked at a 26, 28 Nosler, 6.5PRC or their kind, as they do not fit my needs for what I wanted this rifle to do.. Easily obtainable quality factory ammo (I am middle career, with a 4yo, and 3 businesses, so time is precious), ethical deer round to 300/400yrds, practice to 1k.. AND decent barrel life, and enjoyable to non-existant recoil. I am planning a western elk trip in the next couple of years (my first) and an African trip within the next 5 years.. No, the 6.5CM will not be going on either of those trips, it'll be a 300WM, 338WM, or the like from the safe with more forgiveness of a pulled shot. The 6.5CM isn't going away, but it also won't kick my teeth in when I squeeze the trigger, or need rebarelling yearly.. If I want to be kicked, and help me forget the stressors of the day, I'll grab the 338LM or the 50.. They all have their intended purposes, there isn't one perfect caliber for every purpose.. I wouldn't strike a match at 50yrds with a 50, and I wouldn't shoot a moose at 500 with a .223..

Last edited:
The unequivocally true answer to the click-baitish title of the post is "NO".

"Did the..." refers to something that already happened and of course there is not one bit (much less a byte, or megabyte) of data that suggests that this already happened.

I don't know hardly anyone that buys factory ammo,so your post means very little to anyone that actually shoots their rifles much because 90% of them load their own ammo.
Calling the 6.5-284 a niche round just shows how little you actually know,as well as the 6.5-06. You'd be quite surprised at the number of people that actually shoot them,and they will be around a lot longer than the 6.5 PRC.

Every year,there are new cartridges introduced to the market to boost new sales. Some are good,some fall flat. The ones that make it always offer the shooter something better than what they currently shoot,but the 6.5 PRC really doesn't do anything better than the 6.5-284 or the 6.5-06 other than coming in more varieties of factory ammo which doesn't mean anything to someone that reloads.
No. That's like saying 90% of people that drink beer brew their own. Most of the folks I know don't reload or want to, so that variety is a good thing.

Last edited:
I don't have a 6.5 prc but I have 3 creeds and 3 6.5x284 the creed has 2x the barrel life easy. The creed is here to stay and I believe the prc fitting in a short action gives it a spot. Neither are going anywhere soon
I have to just wonder if the PRC in a short action will suffer the same fate as the .257 Roberts in a short action? It worked but not to it's full potential.
The .257 Roberts would still be here as a front line cartridge had it never been factory loaded in a long action with he proper strength to shoot full pressure rounds.
Just a thought.

Doesn't make it obsolete for me. I'd still buy a 6.5 Creedmoor and I plan on building another one soon. I think the PRC is better suited to be run in a long action also, just my opinion. At least that's how I built mine. I'm running the heavy 150+ bullets also and seating further out. I just like 6.5's. Going to also build a 6.5 SAUM soon. Did the 300WSM make the 300WIN obsolete?
If you want more speed why not just build or buy a .264Winchester Magnum?
The .264 WM has been here since 1958, gives more speed than the PRC and components are available, if you can not find .264 WM brass, just make it from the 7mm Rem Mag.

I would pick a 6.5x55 Swede over the Creedmore....
The 6.5 CM and the 6.5x55mm SE in a strong rifle are the same grade of grease.
I own 2 6.5x55mmSE's and 1 6.5CM.
One does not really do more than the other.
Both shoot the same weight bullets t about the same speed with accuracy.

Last edited: