Did 6.5 PRC obsolete the 6.5 CM only to be made obsolete?

It seems to me that Hornady might have killed off their own product.

Who is going to buy a 6.5 CM vs with the 6.5 PRC available now?

So I wonder if Hornady will decide to release a 7.0 PRC in 3 years after everyone upgrades their rifles from 6.5 CM to 6.5 PRC?

Maybe a smarter move would be a 6.8 PRC to shoot all the new round that they will be making for the .277 Fury? Imagine; 270 win level of power in a cartridge that comes factory barreled with 8 twist barrels!
The 6.5CM is never going to be obsolete in my opinion it just a great caliber to shoot and hunt with and very accurate to.I don't have a prc you do pick up 200 FPS over the creed,the only thing that stops me from buying one is the brass which can be very hard to find and when you do find it it costs an arm and a leg,so for now i will stick with my creed and am very happy with it.

So I wonder if Hornady will decide to release a 7.0 PRC in 3 years after everyone upgrades their rifles from 6.5 CM to 6.5 PRC?

Maybe a smarter move would be a 6.8 PRC to shoot all the new round that they will be making for the .277 Fury? Imagine; 270 win level of power in a cartridge that comes factory barreled with 8 twist barrels!
The 6.5C does everything the 257 Roberts, 6.5X55, 250-3000 and 243 can do and maybe better. these were all popular and in some cases the hottest newest thing in their day. 6.5C improved on the 260 (better twist and no wasted case volume), gives up little to the 308 and 7-08 when using 150-140 grain bullets and does it with less recoil. I hunt with a 270 and just don't feel the need to switch to 6.5C, but would think it very acceptable replacement especially for deer hunting. I see the 6.5C pretty well placed as both a match cartridge and a hunting cartridge, not going away for a while.

For sub-30 cal bullets the 270 Win has a great balance of powder capacity for the bullet.
A 6.8 PRC would be great, but then again, the 270 Win already has what is needed 0-500 yards.
For further distance a person needs a special rig so they can rebarrel a 7" 270 Win to handle the 168gn Hammer Hunter .277". Go for if you want. Hornady needs at least an 8" twist if the come out with a PRC.

Myself, I think that the .277" is about optimum for deer-sized game and any 270-Win owner can hold their head high. (Of course that includes its .284" twins.)
And while they will work on elk, I personally prefer a bigger bullet for game 500 pounds and up. A 338WM with 210 or 225 mono (HH or TTSX) is awesome. But that's me. I like 375 and 416, too, but that is because I do a lot of walking around where the (cape) buffalo roam.

I don't think the 6.5 PRC will impact 6.5 CM sales enough to obsolete the CM. The CM is so widely used in the target world and has a good foot hold in the hunting world due to its low recoil and great accuracy. In hunting world the 6.5 PRC is gaining because it's relatively low recoil great accuracy and great performance in the 500-1000 yard range on game. Plus you can put it in a really light package and get all that performance which is a win win for hunters. So they have there own niches in the market. With whatever Hornady might do you have the big 300 PRC you have the high performance light recoiling 6.5 PRC, I'd like to see them come out with a 7mm based on the same case but more along the size of a 7mm LRM case. A cartridge that will put out Berger 180 VLD near the 3100fps mark squarely targeted at medium recoil and long range hunting and shooting. I have to admit I am prejudice a little because I have hunted with a 7mm LRM for years, the solution is right there with their current case I use the same Wilson bushing for my 375 Ruger, 7mm LRM, and 6.5 PRC. It'll likely never happen. 😃

I own a creed and am trying with all my might not to buy a PRC. I have a 25-06 with a 8 twist barrel so its identical in performance to the PRC... Except I have to buy expensive niche bullets.

The recoil on the PRC is very light for the level of performance but of course still more than the creed. Barrel life does matter to me. Sure you can replace the barrel but I prefer to not have the added pressure of counting rounds when playing around with new loads.

I don't think it'll kill the creed though. The 30 wsm didn't kill the .308.

I am sure I will get suckered into their 7mm offering down the road. I have a love for 7s they are the balance I prefer.
TIDUS56. I would suggest you take a REALLY HARD look at the 7MM-300??
Take a 300 Win Mag and neck it down to a 7MM?
I have one that was made for me that has a 29-inch R5, Bartlien tube, Remington action.
seating AOL. 3.550 and sending a 190 match VLD. out of Hornady brass and drive nails in a 2X6 standing on edge at 200 yards..

I guess by making another cartridge "obsolete"; I am just talking about it no longer being offered in production rifles or not being made in significant numbers by all the big manufactures ( what is selling ).

I think the 270 win could easily be obsoleted by a new cartridge that releases in rifles with a high twist rate. 270 win having a 1:10 twist makes it a horribly crippled round. This shows in the bullets that are offered for the 270 win.
I do not understand your meaning in the Quote (horribly crippled round)??

Yeah, we like to tell ourselves we are saving by reloading. I own about 6 or 7 presses, 70 sets of dies and all the accoutrements to go with them, about 6 no, 7 scales, enough brass to sink a ship but I am saving alright, HA HA. money
PBR DRIVER, I agree with you wholeheartedly. only I come along behind you, sucking hind tit. Less money but up there in enthusiasm. Grin

TIDUS56. I would suggest you take a REALLY HARD look at the 7MM-300??
Take a 300 Win Mag and neck it down to a 7MM?
I have one that was made for me that has a 29-inch R5, Bartlien tube, Remington action.
seating AOL. 3.550 and sending a 190 match VLD. out of Hornady brass and drive nails in a 2X6 standing on edge at 200 yards..
I considered the 7mm practical which is basically a 7mm-300 win but decided I preferred the belt less 28 Nosler. I can see the appeal of the 7mm practical but the 28 is working great for me. I am looking forward to building a short action magnum in 7mm at some point. Not sure what it will be.

Last edited:
Actually youd be suprised how many people shoot factory ammo for prs competition. The reason the 6.5 prc will never be popular in prs is because of the recoil. You have to spot your own hits and misses in funky positions that are not conducive to good recoil control. That's why rounds like the 6.5 creed, 6.5x47, 6 creed, 6 dasher, 6 bra, etc are all popular.

Very true. I was a Range Officer at the Hornady/GAP PRC shoot in Utah last month. I would say over half of the sponsored shooters were shooting factory ammo. The other consideration of the CM vs PRC in a competition setting is the round count per stage. There were over 20 stages at this match. Each one had a 90 second time limit. Factor in 10 - 20 seconds to get into position for your first shot and the stages were 10 - 18 rounds. You can really turn the heat up shooting 18 rounds in 70 seconds times 10 stages per day! I think there's plenty of room for both to survive.

Bob

Well the 6.5 PRC replaces the 6.5 Needmore that killed the 260 Remington (that is superior to the creedmore). Advertising, Advertising ,Advertising and media Hype by Hornady and then now everybody has by one. Then Hornady swings their media blitz to the 6.5 PRC and every body wants one. In truth the PRC is a weak cousin to the 6.5 Remington Magnum that came out in 1966. History seems to repeat itself once again. Don't get me wrong I love all of the 6.5mm calibers and own all of the ones I listed above plus a few more Which one will I use today????
That is the question.

Well, was set to put together a 6.5PRC, but brass is made from unobtaniun for the near future it seems. I'v plenty of the 6.5CM brass to size up and down for 6CM & 25CM though.

1596826064526.png

I do not understand your meaning in the Quote (horribly crippled round)??

The 270 win is more awesome sauce then a 280 ai, except for the fact that it can stabilize heavier rounds which is the reason why .277 has such a lousy selection of bullets compared to .284 or .264.

Imagine if 270 win was spec'd for a 1:7.5" twist barrel all these years? Who would want or need many of the 7mm or 6.5mm rounds?

270 win with a 10" twist has made it a 130gr one trick pony. It would have been nice to shoot 160gr boats at 2800+ fps all these years, but it is crippled. Think of a 7mm RM with an 11" twist barrel? Nobody in their right mind would make that barrel.

Sorry, but my 270 win with the 10" twist barrel doesn't excite me. My 30-06 can shoot < 145gr bullets fast for hunting at closer ranges and put just as much hurt on an animal.