Did 6.5 PRC obsolete the 6.5 CM only to be made obsolete?

It seems to me that Hornady might have killed off their own product.

Who is going to buy a 6.5 CM vs with the 6.5 PRC available now?

So I wonder if Hornady will decide to release a 7.0 PRC in 3 years after everyone upgrades their rifles from 6.5 CM to 6.5 PRC?

Maybe a smarter move would be a 6.8 PRC to shoot all the new round that they will be making for the .277 Fury? Imagine; 270 win level of power in a cartridge that comes factory barreled with 8 twist barrels!

The new 6mm ARC will replace them all!! Lol, At least for the Military any way!

These conversations seem to be for the elitist hunter/shooter but then again this is a long range hunting forum so I guess it makes sense. As an average big game hunter in the United States, I think the whole idea that some new cartridge is going to cause other cartridges to disappear is silly. Didn't they say that the win mag would disappear when the wsm came out or how about when the rcm came out or the rum? The only cartridges to disappear were never popular to begin with unless you want to talk about the old straight walled black powder cartridges. New cartridges will never have the popularity of the old cartridges until you can find them available on the shelves of all wally worlds for the same price as the old cartridges not to mention the low end rifles that are sold at wally world need to come in those calibers. So far, it seems the 6.5cm is the only one that meets those requirements and I doubt its going to cause any of the old standards to disappear because there are millions of rifles out there in those calibers and people are still buying them. Your average hunter isn't going to spend $1500 or more on a rifle and scope not to mention having to mail order cartridges for $3 or more a round if they aren't an avid reloader and reloading these things aren't that cheap either.

It seems to me that Hornady might have killed off their own product.

Who is going to buy a 6.5 CM vs with the 6.5 PRC available now?

So I wonder if Hornady will decide to release a 7.0 PRC in 3 years after everyone upgrades their rifles from 6.5 CM to 6.5 PRC?

Maybe a smarter move would be a 6.8 PRC to shoot all the new round that they will be making for the .277 Fury? Imagine; 270 win level of power in a cartridge that comes factory barreled with 8 twist barrels!
For my two cents none of these made me want to shoot them over the already established perennial, 270 win. I have for years what the big deal is about these new rounds. The 270 keeps up just find. I guess that is power of marketing.

These conversations seem to be for the elitist hunter/shooter but then again this is a long range hunting forum so I guess it makes sense. As an average big game hunter in the United States, I think the whole idea that some new cartridge is going to cause other cartridges to disappear is silly. Didn't they say that the win mag would disappear when the wsm came out or how about when the rcm came out or the rum? New cartridges will never have the popularity of the old cartridges until you can find them available on the shelves of all wally worlds for the same price as the old cartridges not to mention the low end rifles that are sold at wally world need to come in those calibers. So far, it seems the 6.5cm is the only one that meets those requirements and I doubt its going to cause any of the old standards to disappear because there are millions of rifles out there in those calibers and people are still buying them. Your average hunter isn't going to spend $1500 or more on a rifle and scope not to mention having to mail order cartridges for $3 or more a round if they aren't an avid reloader and reloading these things aren't that cheap either.

But the 6.5 PRC already has a stronger launch then the 6.5 CM did. You can get a Mossberg from WallyWorld type stores for under $400 with a threaded barrel, cerakote, spiral cut bolt and fluted barrel.

Nice looking gun.
1596811533390.png

As an avid shooter & hunter, the Creedmoor has become an excellent option for practicing shooting mechanics. Low cost to operate, low recoil, every major manufacturer produces rifles & ammo in the caliber. Accuracy with the factory rifles & ammo is uncanny, also very capable of shooting at extended range with the proper attention to environmental factors. Barrel life on my heavier caliber hunting rifles has and will continue to be extended because I don't need to shoot more than a box during an outing at the range. Can focus my shots with the larger caliber rifles on longer shots and not just plinking at 100-200 yards.

When making the decision on a new hunting rifle, the 300 PRC vs 6.5 PRC was easy. The 6.5 is an excellent choice and has been proven to be effective on medium to large sized game. However, diameter of bullet, weight of bullet and knock down power is lacking at long ranges. Sure, hunters have "killed" Elk sized game at extended ranges but the 30 caliber does it more ethically in my opinion.
300 PRC was my choice and I couldn't be happier with it. If the 26/28 Nosler had a longer barrel life and was more cost effective to shoot, I would have gone that route before choosing a 6.5 PRC.

In fact, I sold a perfect donor rifle for a 6.5 PRC earlier this year because I didn't make sense to build a rifle I wouldn't use when hunting. It was Tikka T3 in 270 WSM and I also was not going to hunt with this caliber. Came across it at a pawn shop when leaving Elk camp a few years ago, it was left handed and the price was too good to pass up! Rifle was used for one hunt prior to me buying it and the original owner parted ways with it so he could pay for the processing of his game. When I come across nice left handed rifles, I tend to buy them even if I don't intend to hunt with them...the market for these types of rifles is and always will be strong, therefore I can turn a small profit by being in the right place at the right time! Gentlemen who bought it from me did exactly what I wasn't willing to do and built his daughter a custom 6.5 PRC with the action, I'm sure she will put it to good use!!!

Each to their own, Hornady did a fantastic job of marketing "new" products and the rest is history!

Nice looking rifle but I have never seen one or any ammo for one in any wally world I have ever walked into.

But the 6.5 PRC already has a stronger launch then the 6.5 CM did. You can get a Mossberg from WallyWorld type stores for under $400 with a threaded barrel, cerakote, spiral cut bolt and fluted barrel.

Nice looking gun.
View attachment 207260

The 6,5CM is fun cartridge that you can shoot to 1,000 yards on gongs.I have a 6.5X55 that gets 150FPS faster with a 2" shorter barrel and is just as accurate.I was going to buy a 6,5 PRC barrel and put it on my Tikka which is now a 270WSM.I rethought that and now ordered a 270WSM barrel with a 1 X 7 1/2 twist as I hear more 277 High BC bullets will be released this year.

I guess by making another cartridge "obsolete"; I am just talking about it no longer being offered in production rifles or not being made in significant numbers by all the big manufactures ( what is selling ).

I think the 270 win could easily be obsoleted by a new cartridge that releases in rifles with a high twist rate. 270 win having a 1:10 twist makes it a horribly crippled round. This shows in the bullets that are offered for the 270 win.

I wouldn't call the 270 crippled at all - it's a great round and always has been. With newer powders it's gotten even better. The 1-in-10 rifling twist rate you mentioned, though, is a handicap when you look at the high-BC bullets that are starting to come on the market, so for specialized work a guy will have to re-barrel to a faster twist to use them. If he's a dyed-in-the-wool 270 fanatic, this will be just fine. If not, he's probably going to re-barrel to something newer & fancier. There are better ways to go in that arena, but in the zero-to-500 yard deer & elk hunting world, the 270 is just fine.

I lIke the Creedmoor and the prc. I have two Creedmoor's and one prc. It's kinda like dad's gun and the kids guns. All three shoot fantastic. Both creeds shoot the same load and bullet. And the prc shoot the 147s vs the 143s. Just another fun gun. I plan to elk hunt with it this year.

The 6.5C does everything the 257 Roberts, 6.5X55, 250-3000 and 243 can do and maybe better. these were all popular and in some cases the hottest newest thing in their day. 6.5C improved on the 260 (better twist and no wasted case volume), gives up little to the 308 and 7-08 when using 150-140 grain bullets and does it with less recoil. I hunt with a 270 and just don't feel the need to switch to 6.5C, but would think it very acceptable replacement especially for deer hunting. I see the 6.5C pretty well placed as both a match cartridge and a hunting cartridge, not going away for a while.

Im so ****ed at hornady right now. Wheres all the brass and ammo. They dropped the ball on their cartridges. Or us on our asses. When i emailed them asking where all the prc brass was i got its all being made into ammo. Ok wheres all the ammo. Never again hornady.

I don't shoot PRS so I'm not the best to comment on this but don't most that shoot PRS reload and can't they just taylor their PRC loads for what they want?

I would veiw the PRC as just giving me more options. I could be way off on this though.
The larger diameter case makes mag capacity an issue. We can run 10-12 round mags with standard bolt face, while the PRC runs 5-7 rounds with the mag bolt bolt face. Also, cases generally work most efficiently when near 100% powder fill. "Loading down" the PRC is possible but not optimal for best performance. As a reloader, my preference (And I have loaded 6.5 Creed, 6.5 PRC and 6 creed and 6 BRA, among others) would be to go with the 6.5 and 6 x 47 cases vs the Creedmoor, to get the most efficient and accurate case for a competition Round shooting the 150 class 6.5 and 115 class 6 mm bullets running in the 2850-2900 FPS range. That's just my humble opinion.