Did 6.5 PRC obsolete the 6.5 CM only to be made obsolete?

I like a lot of these replies that a cm is a great target round, that should be all it is at distance and maybe hunting out to 2 or 300ish yds. IMHO, the folks shooting at animals with one at 600-1200 yds are disrespectful of the animals and are not hunters or hunting anyway. Course I'm of the camp, shooting animals at greater than 5-600 is not hunting period. At least the idiots that were saying "their" needmore could do anything a 300 Win Mag could do have gone away.

Did you wake up today and decide to go full ret*rd? Or was it something that just happened throughout the course of the day?... serious question.

This would be like someone asking if Ford will sell less F150s because they decided offer the Medium Duty F450 with traditional Crew Cab with a normal bed... after all they are both pickup trucks with seating for 6/7 and both have a bed.

I guess the 308 and 7-08 are dead too since there's also a 7Rem Mag and 300 WinMag available. Heck.. even the vauted 270 is dead because Winchester decided to launch the 270WSM.

Everyone is impressed by how tough you are on the internet....... Tex

I like a lot of these replies that a cm is a great target round, that should be all it is at distance and maybe hunting out to 2 or 300ish yds. IMHO, the folks shooting at animals with one at 600-1200 yds are disrespectful of the animals and are not hunters or hunting anyway. Course I'm of the camp, shooting animals at greater than 5-600 is not hunting period. At least the idiots that were saying "their" needmore could do anything a 300 Win Mag could do have gone away.
This is sort of ignorant... at one point people generally accepted 1000-1200ftlbs energy as an acceptable threshold for deer/medium game. Most heavy 6.5 Creedmoors carry this much or more out to 700+ yds.

I feel like Creedmoor supporters and detractors fall into two main camps; either they think its a bona fide ELR Elk/Moose/Bear gun... or they they think its barely acceptable on only small deer and only barely outside of bow hunting ranges.

Both are completely wrong and you can show them data and facts on the subject and they post inane brainless BS like the above quoted post and then stick their fingers in their ears and hum to themselves.

Everyone is impressed by how tough you are on the internet....... Tex
Thank you! Everyone is equally impressed with your ability to post inane poorly thought out incorrect takes about two completely different cartridges on the internet.

Gold star for you!

Last edited:
No, it didn't.

the recoil is significantly more, and general target shooters/prs shooters and wannabe prs shooters are not being pulled to the prc.

on every shooting forum other than this one the CM is suggested over the PRC for 90% of people asking. The PRC is only better for extending hunting ranges.
I don't disagree with your last statment of 90% suggesting the CM over the PRC, but I think that might be a bit biased due to rates of ownership of the CM vs the PRC. No one wants their baby to be called ugly. In general...... I think many would agree the PRC has better capabilities than the CM. All that comes at a cost, but most of us didn't get into this cause it was cheaper. We do it cause we are obsessed with hitting fractions of an moa at any distance. I have both, but the PRC is much more interesting to me at all levels. It's like a "Brave New World" still and it fun to experiment. The CM is amazing, and very tried and tested at this point, bordering on boring. Clearly stated, this just the opinion of one person and my vision of these two great cartridges, but great hearing others opinions on here.

I doubt very much that the 6.5PRC will obsolete the 6,5CM. It's very well embedded. While I prefer the 6.5x47L, this similar cartridge and the 6,5CM fills the need for volume shooting, practice, and competition. Under equivalent conditions, you could probably expect up to 2x the barrel life,lower cooperating cost with the 6.5CM, and more compact rifles with less recoil. It do at 700 yards what the PRC will do at 1000 yards when it comes to hunting/target ballistics. The bulk of the hunting public is unlikely going to shoot medium game past 500 yards. Those shooting larger game at longer ranges are just as likely to opt for a cartridge larger the the 6.5PRC. IMO.

Last edited:
I'm 64 years old and have been shooting for 57 years and reloading for 50 years. I've shot them all. 22 LR through 416 Rem and 458 Win Mag. And I loved every one of them. Past tense. I shoot for enjoyment now and deer culling at my friends south Texas ranch. I just don't enjoy recoil and blast like I used to. The Creedmoor is perfect for what I want to do. Abundance of high quality ammo and supplies and rifles. I bought another two weeks ago. A CTR 24". I was actually looking for a 6.5 PRC. I could find rifles without any problem, but ammo, reloading supplies and equipment are pretty much non-existent at this time. At this point, I simply don't feel like I have time to wait for either supply to catch up with demand or for this cartridge to reach the height of popularity that the Creedmoor has. Same with the other "hot" 6.5's. Too much trouble.

Doesn't make it obsolete for me. I'd still buy a 6.5 Creedmoor and I plan on building another one soon. I think the PRC is better suited to be run in a long action also, just my opinion. At least that's how I built mine. I'm running the heavy 150+ bullets also and seating further out. I just like 6.5's. Going to also build a 6.5 SAUM soon. Did the 300WSM make the 300WIN obsolete?

I don't disagree with your last statment of 90% suggesting the CM over the PRC, but I think that might be a bit biased due to rates of ownership of the CM vs the PRC. No one wants their baby to be called ugly. In general...... I think many would agree the PRC has better capabilities than the CM. All that comes at a cost, but most of us didn't get into this cause it was cheaper. We do it cause we are obsessed with hitting fractions of an moa at any distance. I have both, but the PRC is much more interesting to me at all levels. It's like a "Brave New World" still and it fun to experiment. The CM is amazing, and very tried and tested at this point, bordering on boring. Clearly stated, this just the opinion of one person and my vision of these two great cartridges, but great hearing others opinions on here.
Better ballistics/capabilities only matter if they pertain to your field of interest.

for general shooters/new long range enthusiasts/tactical shooters the prc rarely offers an advantage. That's why the CM is suggested. If you're trying to shoot a steel plate within 1000 yards there's almost zero reasons to buy a prc over a creedmoor. Spin the turret a little further.

most shooters aren't hunters, and most hunters aren't long range hunters

Wasn't part of the original appeal of the 6.5 cartridges (.260rem, 6.5x47, 6.5cm) that they bridged a gap between 308 and 300wm and had an extended barrel life compared to other options with similar ballistics? If so, where does the 6.5prc fall in the "barrel life+what can't other cartridges do" metric? Does this even apply to the original question?

Better ballistics/capabilities only matter if they pertain to your field of interest.

for general shooters/new long range enthusiasts/tactical shooters the prc rarely offers an advantage. That's why the CM is suggested. If you're trying to shoot a steel plate within 1000 yards there's almost zero reasons to buy a prc over a creedmoor. Spin the turret a little further.

With all that being true...... I think many people when they go to the store and see a 6.5 CM sitting next to a 6.5 PRC, they will be more inclined to grab the PRC because "a little more powder" is always a good thing and recoil isn't going to be that much more.

I now see where the CM has its place in gas guns, but where I have lived most people want fast and flat due to wind and longer distances.

This is the correct take.

Most people who hunt animals at ranges beyond what you would want to shoot a 6.5CM are looking for something bigger than the PRC.

The ~300fps increase over the CM offers slightly increased effective range and slightly better wind/elevation performance at the expense of increase recoil and blast (for those uncivilized barbarians that dont own at least 1 suppressor in 2020), decreased ammunition capacity, less reliable feeding at increased cost per round and significantly decreased barrel life.

If you ONLY hunt, and your typical ranges are outside of 500yds, the PRC makes more sense... in those very narrowly defined circumstances. The PRC would make an absolutely outstanding antelope rifle.

Recent Posts