Did 6.5 PRC obsolete the 6.5 CM only to be made obsolete?

Maybe a better question is: will the 6.5 prc obsolete the 6.5-284, because it is the round that the prc is in direct competition with. Not necessarily the 6.5 creedmoor. Both are hunting rounds.

The 6.5x55 is far older and far from obsolete. Far more of them out there than all the modern 6.5s.
How many production rifles come chambered in that these days? I am willing to bet more new 6.5 PRC rifles will sell this year then 6.5X55 has sold in the last 5 years.

I see a lot of phone jacks in houses, but I don't see them being used.

It's called the 284 Winchester.
If Hornady would duplicate the 284 Winchester like they did the 6.5-284 with the 6.5 prc and put it in a short action, it would be a winner. Of course, they would have to give it a tacticool name. Maybe something like" TWO EIGHT FOUR tac ops"😂. All jokes aside the 284 Winchester free bored for long heavies is one of the most underrate cartridges around.

Last edited:
Maybe a better question is: will the 6.5 prc obsolete the 6.5-284, because it is the round that the prc is in direct competition with. Not necessarily the 6.5 creedmoor. Both are hunting rounds.

Below is from Sportsman's Warehouse. # of different rifles they carry.

6.5 PRC is chambered the 5th most variety wise for what they stock. Think about that. How long have companies made 6.5 PRC rifles? Look a 6.5 CM, it has over twice the flavors as the 270 win.

6.5-284 is just a niche rifle..... nobody but reloaders use it for hunting. It isn't displacing 6.5 CM, 270, 7RM, 280ai, or 7-08 sales like the 6.5 PRC is.

1596768278356.png

Below is from Sportsman's Warehouse. # of different rifles they carry.

6.5 PRC is chambered the 5th most variety wise for what they stock. Think about that. How long have companies made 6.5 PRC rifles? Look a 6.5 CM, it has over twice the flavors as the 270 win.

6.5-284 is just a niche rifle..... nobody but reloaders use it for hunting. It isn't displacing 6.5 CM, 270, 7RM, 280ai, or 7-08 sales like the 6.5 PRC is.

View attachment 207215
Yes, it's obviously over taken the 6.5-284 commercially and will continue to do so. Cheaper ammo in the prc.

Honestly, the 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 prc, 28 Nosler, 300 prc are all a rifle manufacturers dream come true. I can't figure out why in the world Remington didn't jump on board with any any more of those like the did with the creedmoor.

That would be me and I also have both a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5 PRC. Have I told you about how great my wife is :) She favors the 7mm-08, but we have had that rifle for some time. Yes, We'd buy a 7 PRC.

Honestly, if Sportsman would have got the rifle I ordered in 7mm-08 first I would have went that route vs the 6.5 PRC.

7-08 is an efficient round that does more then the 6.5 PRC for hunting in my opinion. The ruger american I got comes with a 1:8.5 twist barrel for 7-08. I do have some twangs of buyers remorse because they just got in the 7-08 after I ordered the PRC :-(

Honestly, if Sportsman would have got the rifle I ordered in 7mm-08 first I would have went that route vs the 6.5 PRC.

7-08 is an efficient round that does more then the 6.5 PRC for hunting in my opinion. The ruger american I got comes with a 1:8.5 twist barrel for 7-08. I do have some twangs of buyers remorse because they just got in the 7-08 after I ordered the PRC :-(
No worries. That gives you an excuse to get a 7mm-08 later😂. Sounds like a perfect plan. I think you will really like the 6.5 prc.

Competitive shooters reload, not all do. I wouldn't shoot a prc for matches. I would opt for the 6mm variants. 6 x 47, 6 XC, 6 creed. These have much more success in the prs world. Amateurs and weekend shooters who do reload I would think would stay with the 6.5 creed. Less powder. Cheaper. The prc does have a place, just not in the prs world. IMHO
I don't shoot PRS so I'm not the best to comment on this but don't most that shoot PRS reload and can't they just taylor their PRC loads for what they want?

I would veiw the PRC as just giving me more options. I could be way off on this though.

I now have a 2 rifle hunting arsenal. Have a 6.5x47 and a 280ai. Would imagine that the 6.5 PRC would fit exactly in the middle of these and not perfectly replace either one. I would argue that it is a specialty cartridge. The 6.5x47 could easily be replaced by a number of moderate cartridges. So could be the 280ai. The 6.5 PRC is sexy but sort of a tweener.