Did 6.5 PRC obsolete the 6.5 CM only to be made obsolete?

There is less overlap here than in other calibers. 308, 30-06, 300 wsm, 300 wm, 300 rum are all still popular.

I dont understand the drive to put down the creedmoor and hornady. The creedmoor is a great cartridge if used in its envelope. People exagerate its abilities just like they exagerate cars quarter mile times and everything else. Hornady is no more dishonest or marketing driven than any other decent sized company. Less so than many. People lie and big companies suck. Thats the world we live in.

I love my 6.5 creedmore is fun to shoot I have A7M rem mag that I have hunted with for a long time and tired of getting kicked like a mule that's not to say that I'm gonna hunt with the 6.5 all the time I just know that it is a great gun to shoot easy to reload and reliable It's not a woman's gun it's not an old man's gun it's not a kid's gun it's everyday gun for someone to go and shoot long range and have fun So people don't like the 65 Creedmoor don't buy

6.5 longevity ? Which 6.5 will out last the 6.5x55? . In " 1893 " the 6.5x55 came out decades before the 06 or 270. . Has taken heavy game around the world. Still in production in many countries. If it were not proven it would have never lasted. It is an all time great cartridge that has had no problem cleanly taking mice to moose. In a strong modern rifle it can be loaded safely to much higher velocities than original ammo. Will the CM or PRC survive to equal the 6.5x55 would be more appropriate if you wish to compare 6.5's, old does not mean obsolete.

6.5 longevity ? Which 6.5 will out last the 6.5x55? . In " 1893 " the 6.5x55 came out decades before the 06 or 270. . Has taken heavy game around the world. Still in production in many countries. If it were not proven it would have never lasted. It is an all time great cartridge that has had no problem cleanly taking mice to moose. In a strong modern rifle it can be loaded safely to much higher velocities than original ammo. Will the CM or PRC survive to equal the 6.5x55 would be more appropriate if you wish to compare 6.5's, old does not mean obsolete.

Right on^^^, Classics! Just like the 250-3000 Savage and the 284 Winchester. Everybody always likes the latest and greatest hot rod (i'm Guilty), but nothing wrong with a super nice Fastback or Stingray either. Ruger still chambers bolt action rifles in the 250 Savage.

I collect the 99's and here's a little history:

"Savage introduced the .250/3000 in 1914. It's caliber designation ".250/3000" got it's name by being a .25 caliber and the first center-fire rifle to exceed 3,000 fps... an amazing muzzle velocity at that time. This caliber designation was eventually changed to simply .250 Savage."

Not hijacking the thread, just adding some cool history for some to check out.

Last edited:
Honestly, the 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 prc, 28 Nosler, 300 prc are all a rifle manufacturers dream come true. I can't figure out why in the world Remington didn't jump on board with any any more of those like the did with the creedmoor.
I have 3 of 4 , luv all 3 for different things!

I
I don't disagree with your last statment of 90% suggesting the CM over the PRC, but I think that might be a bit biased due to rates of ownership of the CM vs the PRC. No one wants their baby to be called ugly. In general...... I think many would agree the PRC has better capabilities than the CM. All that comes at a cost, but most of us didn't get into this cause it was cheaper. We do it cause we are obsessed with hitting fractions of an moa at any distance. I have both, but the PRC is much more interesting to me at all levels. It's like a "Brave New World" still and it fun to experiment. The CM is amazing, and very tried and tested at this point, bordering on boring. Clearly stated, this just the opinion of one person and my vision of these two great cartridges, but great hearing others opinions on here.
like my CM for competition and my PRC for hunting

The 308 didn't kill the 30-06. These questions about one cartridge obsoleting the other comes up all the time. I'm not even sure if it matters that a cartridge is considered obsolete. Take the 284 winchester for example. I don't think there's a rifle manufacturer that even chambers a rifle in that cartridge anymore. Some custom shops do. But the cartridge is still well and alive in F-open. The 300 & 7mm saum are cartridges that one might consider obsoleted but are still highly sought after in different circles of shooters.

Rangefinders, improvements in bullet terminal performance , reliable scopes with turrets or ballistic reticles, and precision reloading seem to make these high speed cartridges unnecessary for most people.
Edit:
When said high speed cartridges was intending to refer to highly overbore cartridges. I think the 6.5PRC is a viable and possible better alternative to the 270 Win. for hunting mid sized game. I do not think it will do major damage To the popularity of the CM.

Last edited:
Yeah, we like to tell ourselves we are saving by reloading. I own about 6 or 7 presses, 70 sets of dies and all the accoutrements to go with them, about 6 no, 7 scales, enough brass to sink a ship but I am saving alright, HA HA. money
I think most of us who reload enjoy doing it and the benefit of usually creating a custom round for our particular rifle that is just more accurate than factory ammunition in most cases. I have bought some factory ammunition that was impressive though, hard to beat factory Norma ammunition. I just bought a Vanguard barrel burner in 6.5x300, not much barrel life in one of those, but man does it shoot flat. I'm not saving much by reloading after buying brass, 8# of powder, bullets and dies, but the factory Weatherby ammo isn't cheap either.

No, the PRC will not kill the Creedmoor, just to answer the first question. I can not believe I read this entire post.

Well probably not.... but it isn't going to help 6.5 CM sales any. I am thinking that many people who bought a 6.5 CM will be getting a 6.5 PRC and most new buyers will be getting a 6.5 PRC.

There are not a lot of good choices when it comes to buying off the shelf production rifles that are chambered < .308 cal and have a twist rates for using long range bullets. 6.5 PRC is going to stand out.

Strangely enough, I bought a 6.5 PRC but I am looking forward to seeing a flood of nice slightly uses 6.5 CM rifles for sale. Perhaps I will pick one up cheap and turn it into a 7-08 some day.

Looking at MidwayUSA today there are 83 options for 6.5 CM ammo, and only 6 for the 6.5 PRC. My best guess is no. If I didn't have a 6.5 already and I wasn't wanting to build a 270WSM, I'd probably be buying a 6.5 PRC. Likely to do it anyway.

Looking at MidwayUSA today there are 83 options for 6.5 CM ammo, and only 6 for the 6.5 PRC. My best guess is no. If I didn't have a 6.5 already and I wasn't wanting to build a 270WSM, I'd probably be buying a 6.5 PRC. Likely to do it anyway.

I think this is the first year rifle manufactures have really started putting 6.5 PRC rifles out in numbers.

Hopefully by next year the cost and availability of ammo will be dropping significantly.