Dicks/Field and Stream no longer selling AR15s or guns to under 21

I think you should be able to discriminate against anyone for any reason, and suffer the market based consequences. They're making a market solution to what THEY perceive is the issue at hand. They're not correct, but at least they are going about it in a free market way instead of lobbying the government to get involved. I personally applaud them for that.

Go back birmingham in the 1950s if you think discrimination is ok. The statute for age discrimination is the same as the statute for race. They can sell or not anything they want, but they are doing something illegal by not selling to anyone under 21

Go back birmingham in the 1950s if you think discrimination is ok. The statute for age discrimination is the same as the statute for race. They can sell or not anything they want, but they are doing something illegal by not selling to anyone under 21

How long do you think a store that didn't cater to black people would last? Ten, fifteen minutes? We're talking about different things. What happened in Birmingham was required by law. I am saying let people do what they want and let the market figure it out.

Last edited:
I tried to make the distinction.

It is fine for them to not sell guns and ammo at all. The market and their accountants will tell them if it is right or wrong.

But when they choose to not sell something to someone who is legally able because of their race, age, sex, religion, national origin, disability, pregnancy, color or genetic information, that is unlawful discrimination.

Machoking, you actually think it is right that a soldier can go fight for our country at age 18, come home, and not be able to walk into this store and purchase a firearm? Shame on you and them.... This is disgusting....

Machoking, you actually think it is right that a soldier can go fight for our country at age 18, come home, and not be able to walk into this store and purchase a firearm? Shame on you and them.... This is disgusting....

Yes, because this is not the only place to buy a firearm. By the way, I'm a vet.

I get this feeling this is a lot like the "bake the cake" issue. If they don't want to sell black rifles, they don't want to. Take your business elsewhere and move on. Be honest, how many of you were really going into Field and Stream stores to buy black rifles? Probably none. Bake the cake...I mean sell the black rifle you bigot!
I agree to a point, but the CEO went further and said the government needed to make it law. He wants a federal law saying the same as their company policy because he knows we will all go to their competition. Which i already did to begin with. I had no problem with his decision until he called on the government to force his competition to do the same

I think you should be able to discriminate against anyone for any reason, and suffer the market based consequences. They're making a market solution to what THEY perceive is the issue at hand. They're not correct, but at least they are going about it in a free market way instead of lobbying the government to get involved. I personally applaud them for that.
Except he did call on the feds to pass laws forcing his competition to do the same as him. That's where i drew the line. As far as him making the decision for his company i had no problem. His company and his decision.

Heard the same arguments back in the 80's in these parts about 19 year olds when they raised the drinking age from 19 to 21. It blew over in short order. Imagine this is only the beginning of corporate America making these kinds of changes.

But you guys are forgetting one thing..They are selling their own property!
They own those guns! They can make their own rules ..it's their stuff!
If you don't like it don't go there. But don't forget they have rights too!
And they just exercised one of them!
If someone comes to look at a puppy I have and I think they are a sleez or weird
and won't treat the pup right..I tell them to beat it He's not for sale now!
It's my puppy and I'll do as I please...Same here with their guns...So think of this..
They lose a little on AR sales BUT they get thousands in free advertising?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.