Diaphram reed seperators - Use em?

264junkie

I've been having a real problem (more than in years past) with my triple reeds sticking after sitting for a few days(even in the fridge.) Even being careful not to use them after eating/drinking etc. they seem to be sticking a lot more than usual.
Does anyone use the reed seperators on the market or have a cleaning regimen that works for them?

Thanks,
Junk

Sometimes i use the small plastic paper clips for reed separaters. You can also soak them in a non-alcholic mouth wash in the fridge. Mostly i just rinse mine after use with the mouth wash and allow to air dry. Sometimes they still stick but a minute or two in your mouth and they come apart. I store mine in the fridge if it's for long term.

Thanks Highknob!
It was kind of frustrating having to toss 4 or 5 diaphrams that I couldn't get seperated after 5 months in the fridge without being used.
I do the same thing with the Non Alch. mouthwash.
I was wondering if a guitar pick might be used along w/ the mouthwash to very carefully clean the between the reeds??
Might give it a try.
Good luck!

Junk

Yes, you can seperate the reeds with a small rounded object, unless they're reaaally STUCK!! It's a good idea to wet the call and separator object before doing it though. A paper clip bent back on itself works great. Wetting the call and blowing into the front of it can help clear the reeds also, if they're not too bad.

I do prefer using reed separators to eliminate the problem before it starts, especially as I prefer 4 and 5 reed calls. It's a pain in the butt to have to through a call out when it cost you 12 bucks, so reed separators are a plus.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.