Dialing and click values

Vulture

I'm considering two scopes, one is 3-15, with 1/4 moa clicks, the other is 4-20, with 1/8 clicks. I have never shot long range in field/hunting situations, so I'm wondering if I should sacrifice magnification to have 1/4 clicks for speed in the field. I have a scope on a .22-250 that has 1/8 clicks, but I've never put it through it's paces so to speak with lots of dialing to get a good idea of whether or not it's a hassle. Just looking for thoughts or experiences for field situations. Thanks.

For hunting I can see no reason where 15X will not be more than adequate. I am currently using a 5-20X and have had to turn it down from 20 at times. I believe after using this 20X for the last 3 years that 15X would be more than sufficient. The way I see the difference in 1/8 to 1/4 clicks is you would get twice the distance per one revolution on your turret with 1/4" clicks versus 1/8". Theoretically you should be able to be more accurate with 1/8" clicks. I have never owned a scope with 1/8" clicks so I'll let someone else give that advise but I personally have never felt handicapped in accuracy with 1/4" clicks. Bottom line is I would go 15X with 1/4" clicks and practice twice as much as I thought I needed to. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I am an owner of an 1/8 moa click type scope, and its not that i don't care for it, it is a nikon monarch 6.5x20, but i really don't need it. I would rather it be a 1/4 moa click. Pretty sure the above poster is correct on the more moa per revolution, i think this one only comes up 7 moa if i remember right. 15 power is plenty for hunting imo

Most long range shooters would be looking at 1/2" clicks on elevation and 1/4" on
windage if they were going to change from 1/4, 1/4. Forget the 1/8" clicks.

if your not punching paper 1/8 is over kill. Id stick with 1/4. not that 1/8 wont work theres just more clicks than really necessary

I have a 4-16 power range scope with 1/4 clicks and love it for the speed. The power range allows me to see plenty good for hunting. I can easily see clay targets at 1000 yards with it on 16 power. A buddy of mine has a 6.5-20 with the 1/8 clicks and it works ok but at the longer range (500 and farther) he has to go past 0 2 or 3 times to get it set. More than a few times he forgot how many times he went around and we had to set a target up and rezero it.The higher power is nice but if I had to choose between a 3-15 with 1/4 or a 6-20 with 1/8 I would take the lower power 1/4 click for hunting.

I recently had the same choices in the scopes I was looking at, and went with the 3-15 with 1/4 MOA clicks. 1/8 seemed too fine to me.
I'll guess that these are the Nitrex TR2 models at Natchez?

WYcoyote, you are correct. I was pretty well set on a Vortex Viper, until I came across those and their reviews. Did you purchase one, and are you happy? Everyone here pretty much confirmed what I was leaning towards. The biggest reason I was considering the higher magnification was for mirage reading. The scope on my .22-250 that I mentioned is 10-40, and at the higher powers, you can really see it. I bought that setup when I was about 16, and shot a fair amount at my local range at the time which went out to 400yds. I would use the higher mag to try and guess wind, but would never shoot above 20x or so. I always used holdover, only punched paper. This forum is such a wealth of info, it has inspired me to really step up my game and get more scientific about my shooting. I can't remember how many times I've seen a deer at 400-500 yds, and have never considered shooting at it, always trying to stalk closer, rarely successfully.

I really like it so far but just temporarily mounted it to check ring and base clearances on a Savage build I'm doing. Still waiting on the barrel from Benchmark. It's in 6.5-.284 Norma with a 25" heavy sporter tube.
I'm happy with the pop up turrets that are resetable to zero.
Heck of a value for the $$$.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts