Dial vs digital calipers

My opinion is if the accuracy of my $12 harbor freight digital caliper is insufficient for the task at hand then it's time to break out the micrometer. Consequently every time I have done so the 2 have been spot on down to .001"
The big problem I have with digital, I can't tell if its 2.5010" exactly or 2.5014" cuz the screen goes from displaying 2.501" then it jumps to 2.5015". For most reloading .0004 is probably not worth discussing but if you're accustomed to a dial where you can sort of have an idea of where it lands between the two, this could possibly be annoying to you
.0005" is as close as you should expect to measure with a caliper. You are fooling yourself if you think you are going to accurately measure to a tenth with either a digital or dial caliper.

A digital does take the decision making out of the process but I still like a dial.

Cheep tools are just that 'Cheap Tools' The first time the tool (Any) changes it mind and gives me more that one reading, It is no longer a tool. It is a Problem and goes in the circular file. You "Must" trust the tool.

Quality digital tools have an automatic shut of for better life for us forgetful folks that can save the batteries, the cheaper one shuts down the display, but the tool is still on and batteries dont last as long. I keep a few spare batteries in the event the digital tool start to flash a low battery warning.

Spend the money on good quality tools and in the long run they will be cheaper.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I have 4 used calipers and one new mitu digital. I got the 4 used for great deals and they are very accurate. You can find deals if you look. Heck, one of us would probably sell you a nice used set for a good deal. Just tell us what you are wanting when you figure it out.

Both work great....based on the money you spend. Good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good. I use the igaging digital. It is on par with the mitu. I have used it for a couple years now and haven't had to change the battery yet. I have another brand in my tool box that goes thru batteries like crazy....it's a cheaper model....

I've run a couple cheaper ones, not as cheap as HF, and both have failed with the buttons. One, the on off stopped working after a few years. The other, another button stopped working. I'm looking at the 6" Shars IP67 rated one for around the lathe where oil and grime is a constant. About half the cost as a top brand. I use a micrometer when I want the "actual" dim.

I have both. I use the digital almost all of the time but it's nice to have the dial caliper around in the event I can't get a battery, which, let's face it is pretty unlikely. I always keep a backup anyway. Same reason I kept my triple beam balance. Just the prepper in me, I guess.

I have both, I like the dial for simple measurements where an attachment does not need to be zeroed. Diameters, OAL's, etc.. Zeroing a comparator or the likes on a digital makes sharing numbers with others a simple way to do things.
My last Mitutoyo digital reads 4 numbers past the decimal point, I hate to say it, it is too much at times, especially since I am so programmed to read 3 places. I like a digi that reads 3 numbers, then the 4th place pops up small on the half if that makes sense.

Since we are in the reloading section, I use these for comparator and most reloading
6B044E02-065B-4837-B57F-1D7B6C2E141B.jpeg
3FD236E2-9C2F-4C28-A699-068152EFF191.jpeg

I use both, but I tend to grab the digital first. I think you're fooling yourself if you think that you can accurately gage to .0005" with calipers. They have .001" accuracy with .0005" resolution. I use the .0005 as a "round-off direction indicator" and don't expect that I'm actually measuring to that accuracy.

I've found that by manipulating the zero button that I can use it as a limited function (+/- only) calculator too.

I use them both they each have their place . From years of mill- wright work I learned that if you buy cheap tools they get replaced sooner and the cost is the same or more then if you buy a good quality tool the first time . I also saw a lot of people that didn't take care of their tools and respect them so it didn't matter what they bought it didn't last . All tools have their place and use . I still have my first 0-1 micrometer , dial indicator , and standard calipers that I have had for over 40 years they have taken thousands of readings and have been sent in to be cleaned and calibrated a few times by Starett and have paid for themselves many times over .

I think I missed the point in my post, if I could only have one caliper for reloading only, it would be a digital. I can stock replacement batteries and do not load daily if I need to replace the unit itself.

Thanks guys
I ended up getting another dial caliper.
Not ready to drop $100+ on high end digital so I bought a decent middle of the road set.
It's a Second Hand tools caliper, if I ever decide I need more than I'll check out the Mitituyos

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.