Dial vs digital calipers

Westernhuntr

My cheapo dial calipers finally broke on me today after 12 years of service.
I've been wanting a better one for years and now the time has come.
Is there any reason to go to a digital caliper or would I be better off buying a good dial.
Any recommendations on a solid budget friendly option would be awesome

I have both, use the dial mostly. The digital eats batteries, the dial is much higher quality as well although equally as accurate.

I find at my age the digital is easier to read and to zero at a known distance and use as a base line
for differences.

There is one thing that I would suggest though, buy a good quality If it is going to be your primary
measuring tool. Really good tools are worth the money.

These brands are the best in my opinion and should last a lifetime.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Digital is easier to read precisely and much harder to mis-read. Dials are much faster to read at a glance especially for repetitive work to confirm a standard measurement. Just buy what you prefer but spend the money for good quality.

I have a hard time using a battery powered measuring tool. I still use micrometers and a dial caliper. Your choice.

FTI I use a 1929 Brown and Sharp micrometer my late father used when he was a machinist! Accurate to about 1 tenth.

My cheapo dial calipers finally broke on me today after 12 years of service.
I've been wanting a better one for years and now the time has come.
Is there any reason to go to a digital caliper or would I be better off buying a good dial.
Any recommendations on a solid budget friendly option would be awesome
I've been using a Starrett model 120A-6 dial caliper every day for many years. If I needed a new one, I would buy the same one again.

I have mitu dial and digital, but the one I always grab is my Starrett dial. Easy to disassemble and clean, if needed. They are all accurate enough for what we do.

For me it's digital. I find them way easier to read than dial.
I've had numerous different sets of budget calipers but now only use Mitutoyo's. I got tired of getting a different reading, measuring the same part, with budget calipers. I get the same reading every time with my Mitutoyo's. They may cost more but they save me frustration and I know they are reading correctly.
You also need to make sure you buy from an authorized dealer, no matter what brand, because there are MANY counterfeit calipers on the market. Some are easy to spot, some not so much.

I have had a Starrett digital 6' for 13 yrs now and they still work flawlessly. These are the ones I use the most for reloading.

Get a good quality one (important) far as digital or dial, I'm old school and used to dial calipers so that's the style I prefer. Either will get you the same results.

My opinion is if the accuracy of my $12 harbor freight digital caliper is insufficient for the task at hand then it's time to break out the micrometer. Consequently every time I have done so the 2 have been spot on down to .001"
The big problem I have with digital, I can't tell if its 2.5010" exactly or 2.5014" cuz the screen goes from displaying 2.501" then it jumps to 2.5015". For most reloading .0004 is probably not worth discussing but if you're accustomed to a dial where you can sort of have an idea of where it lands between the two, this could possibly be annoying to you

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.