Deviant GA Hunter vs Ruckus GA Hunter

Dirt_Nap

Looking to purchase an action this weekend and I'm confused on the difference between the 2. This will be for my 300prc w/hinged floorplate

I am not sure why defiance still makes the deviant series. My understanding is it is the only action of theirs that has 12 machines to complete it and cant hold tight tolerances…which is why it cant use prefits

I am not sure why defiance still makes the deviant series. My understanding is it is the only action of theirs that has 12 machines to complete it and cant hold tight tolerances…which is why it cant use prefits
I'm a newb but does that matter if I'm not using prefits?

Not really. Just as long as you get a competent gunsmith to cut the proper threads and correct headspace. If they are good, they will keep the measurements taken so you can have them cut a new barrel w/out sending in the action.

Not really. Just as long as you get a competent gunsmith to cut the proper threads and correct headspace. If they are good, they will keep the measurements taken so you can have them cut a new barrel w/out sending in the action.
Many who are plenty competent won't do that due to liability. There are some who will but competency is not the main factor in why some won't.

Before I bought my lathe…the two guys I used would not, it just wasn't worth it to them because they could but they wouldn't.

Not at all. I don't use the generally available prefits that can be ordered. I also don't use Remgae or Savage barrel nuts if at all possible to avoid. I don't change out barrels unless they're done, so there's no benefit to me in them. I'm sure there's a litany of reasons guys love them, but literally none of the advantages apply to me so there's no reason for me to use them.

I will use measured-to-fit barrels from a smith that previously did a barrel for me and measured the action, and I'll change out barrels on my own when I had multiple chambered at the same time for an action.

I like the traditional style bolt handle on the Deviant vs the stick handle of the other defiance actions. I like that the Ruckus is held to tight enough tolerances to accept pre fit barrels. I understand that the deviant is as fine and precise as the ruckus but uses different manufacturing/outdated process to make it that require more work and time. Do you want the masterpiece or do you want the machine/duplicated copy? There is no wrong answer. If you want factor pre fit barrels the ruckus.

Many who are plenty competent won't do that due to liability. There are some who will but competency is not the main factor in why some won't.

Before I bought my lathe…the two guys I used would not, it just wasn't worth it to them because they could but they wouldn't.
I don't follow. WRT your statement, a competent GS wont do what? My remark concerning the competent GS was to find one to cut your barrel…not competent if they choose to do a prefit off their measurements.

Last edited: