Developing a New 'Hammer' Load for 6.5-06

Texas Speed Bump

After all the buzz I've heard on this forum about Hammer bullets, I've decided to give them a shot (pun intended). I shoot a straight 6.5-06 with a 1:10 twist. Since this rifle was built, over 50 years ago, it's always been shooting 120 grain boat tails (Nosler ballistic tips for as long as I've had it) driven by 54 grains of IMR 4350, as this is supposedly the only round the maker found that would stabilize. This round chronos at 3,135 fps (average) and has always been a tack-driver for me. The ballastic tips can be problematic at times, wreaking devastation when they hit bone but acting like a sabot anti-tank round when they don't (years ago I hit a whitetail broadside, through and through completely missing all the ribs and it sucked a good portion of his guts out through a quarter-sized exit hole).

The Heavy Hammer Hunter bullets I ordered are 121 grains, one grain heavier than what I'm currently shooting, so I thought I'd just start with the same load, or maybe back off a few grains. The HHH box says a 1:9 twist rate is recommended so I'm not sure how much difference a 1:10 will make.

I welcome your thoughts and advice. Thanks !

My instinct is to suggest that you start with a Hammer that is recommended for your 10: twist. Hammer bullets are rather long for their weight when compared to a jacketed lead bullet. Drop the weight and run them fast. You'll likely have better results.

An under stabilized bullet will also degrade its terminal performance. So even if the 121gr shoots it may still be a poor choice.

Steve is good about exchanging bullets if you decide to go lighter.

After all the buzz I've heard on this forum about Hammer bullets, I've decided to give them a shot (pun intended). I shoot a straight 6.5-06 with a 1:10 twist. Since this rifle was built, over 50 years ago, it's always been shooting 120 grain boat tails (Nosler ballistic tips for as long as I've had it) driven by 54 grains of IMR 4350, as this is supposedly the only round the maker found that would stabilize. This round chronos at 3,135 fps (average) and has always been a tack-driver for me. The ballastic tips can be problematic at times, wreaking devastation when they hit bone but acting like a sabot anti-tank round when they don't (years ago I hit a whitetail broadside, through and through completely missing all the ribs and it sucked a good portion of his guts out through a quarter-sized exit hole).

The Heavy Hammer Hunter bullets I ordered are 121 grains, one grain heavier than what I'm currently shooting, so I thought I'd just start with the same load, or maybe back off a few grains. The HHH box says a 1:9 twist rate is recommended so I'm not sure how much difference a 1:10 will make.

I welcome your thoughts and advice. Thanks !
Don't waste your components Send them back and order the 85g HH's

Copper is ~20% lighter than lead, so solid coppers will be larger in size compared to same weight and shape lead cores. Optimum twist rate seems to be mostly based on weight and length of bullet to stabilize. So you'll see most are running lighter and faster for a given twist when running solid coppers. I'm no expert and others may jump in with a better explanation. Hope this helps and you're gonna love the Hammer experience.

Listen to the Bean. I did the same thing in ordering bullets, then I read some more and called Steve for a better recommendation, very easy company to deal with. I was originally chasing speed in my 7RM and ended up finding it more easily in my 30-06. Shooting 124 gr Hammers just a shade under 3500fps. Hammer time in 4 weeks here in NC

Listen to the Bean. I did the same thing in ordering bullets, then I read some more and called Steve for a better recommendation, very easy company to deal with. I was originally chasing speed in my 7RM and ended up finding it more easily in my 30-06. Shooting 124 gr Hammers just a shade under 3500fps. Hammer time in 4 weeks here in NC
Not trying to high-jack this thread but what powder are you using in the 06 to achieve 3500 FPS with the 124 gr. Hammer ?

Thank you Sir , Floyd

Listen to Bean, he's spot on.

Just an FYI, I'm running the 109 gr Absolute Hammer in my 6.5-284 Norma. Your 6.5-06 has the same case capacity as my Norma, so they are very similar. With HV100, I'm getting 3511 fps. It's devastating on game. I destroyed a NM pronghorn with this load last month.
Light and fast works extremely well with Hammer Bullets

Spoke to Steve and he did indeed suggest the 85s. That's lighter than anything I would have expected to shoot in this 6.5 and will be curious to see how it compares to the 120g Noslers I've been running as far as knock down power on deer and hogs. Seems awful light to me but hey, this is one old dog who CAN learn new tricks...