Devcon 10110 and 10210.

Fitch

The Devcon 10110 seems to be a heck of a good bedding material. I just bedded my '53 Winchester using it and liked how it looks. It feels good. Action screws go from contact to full torque (40 in-lbs) in about 1/6 of a turn. I'm heading for the shop to bed my new Remington 700 (.17 Remington) and get it ready for load development. I think I'll use the rest of the Devcon for this project. If it works like I expect it to, I'll probably order 4# the next time. This first pound went pretty fast!

I was looking at the liquid version, 10210, to pour in small places around pillars and such where puddling was just fine and it's important to get a good void free fill. In that situation a liquid has some appeal. Because it is metal filled I wondered if there are issues with seperation of the fill in the resin?

Any of you used this particular product?

I can get along with out it but I am curious.

Thanks
Fitch

I did a Savage two weeks ago and a Weatherby last weekend with thicker Devcon, both came out awsome. I pillar bedded the Weatherby also and was kinda curious about the same thing your talking about, I gooped up the hole and the pillar and it seemed to get a good fill and then I kinda banged on it to try to settle it. It came out beautiful, I was thinking about making a small tool for vibrating the stock to settle it down.

I did a Savage two weeks ago and a Weatherby last weekend with thicker Devcon, both came out awsome. I pillar bedded the Weatherby also and was kinda curious about the same thing your talking about, I gooped up the hole and the pillar and it seemed to get a good fill and then I kinda banged on it to try to settle it. It came out beautiful, I was thinking about making a small tool for vibrating the stock to settle it down.

I have a Remington 700 in process. I am going to use the 10110 to bed it but it would be nice to have something more liquid to pour in around the rear pillar.

10210 has more compressive strength than 10110 and should pour about like chocolate syrup. I may break down and get a pound of it just to try it. I have 4 lbs of the 10110 on the shelf and would use that for everything but places like around the rear pillar in a Remington.

I have to say the one rifle I've bedded with Devcon came out way nicer than anything I've done with AcraGLAS GEL.

Fitch

I use Devcon 10110 and love it!! I apply the devcon to the pillars first and then stick them into the stock. I then use a popsicle stick or toothpick to make sure that all voids are filled. Remember that using a liquid will be harder to work with it as it will try to run. I prefer the putty texture to the liquid!!

Whilst we are on this I thought I'd ask... has anyone ever seen Devcon steel putty rust?

Thanks.

I know there is a Titanium too, shrinkage is 0.1% (I think similar to Acraglass) and I've heard of gunsmiths using it, but that was hearsay. I'm also not sure what it costs...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.