Determining shot angle (Inclination)

You can buy a cosine indicator.
buy a inclinometer.
use the back of a mildot master.
use a kestrel.
use your iphones level to get the angle.

If using a angle and not the cosine, take the angle and on a calculator so say 20 degrees and hit cosine and multiply that by your true range, you'll get your horizontal distance. Or for faster reference google slope dope.

A Kestrel will not give you your incline, but it will give you your correction if you use one of the other items you listed to measure the incline and input it into the Kestrel.

The boys over at Gunwerks, during one of their videos, showed how to get an appropriate angle of inclination by merely using your hand. I failed to record the show, and have not been able to find it. Technology is great, when it works.....when technology fails, it's nice to have a back-up method! memtb

Palm flat thumb up, about 10 degrees for each flip of the hand.

Old school and easy to remember is just think in terms of a clock.

Level shot your arm is extended straight ahead as you point at the target. That's a 0 shot angle at about 3 o'clock.

12 o'clock is ninety degrees straight up, 2 oclok or four o'clock 30 deg up/down 2 or 5'oclock sixty degrees up/down.

That'll get you close if you run out of batteries or don't' have a range finder.

Last edited:
It would sure be cool if it did. I was just fooling with my 5700 ELITE last night and was thinking that very thought. You would think it wouldn't be that hard for them to do, they already have a compass in it.

It would be cool. But it looks like they came out with the HUD and the budget friendly 2700 AB for this year. Maybe they will make a software update for it and use the compass as the inclinometer. I can probably message doc on the hide and see if that's a possibility.

I just use cosine indicator on my rifle and plug it into my elite on tgt. Then I usually forget to take it off on another range day. It's not something I put to much thought into these days. I don't think I've ever exceeded much over 30 degree on terrain, and I don't hangout of helicopters anymore.

Yah, it would be nice for the price they charge but at the end of the day its built into my range finder so not that big of deal , it would just be a back up.

Palm flat thumb up, about 10 degrees for each flip of the hand.

Old school and easy to remember is just think in terms of a clock.

Level shot your arm is extended straight ahead as you point at the target. That's a 0 shot angle at about 3 o'clock.

12 o'clock is ninety degrees straight up, 2 oclok or four o'clock 30 deg up/down 2 or 5'oclock sixty degrees up/down.

That'll get you close if you run out of batteries or don't' have a range finder.

Thanks Wildrose, The "only" thing that I remembered from the show, was that....the method was easy. I just couldn't remember the method! :mad: memtb

Hey all. You want to see what's coming in the future? Look at the PrecisionRifleBlog. Trijicom is coming out with a new device that can measure wind at multiple distances. It's apparently an offshoot from something developed for Darpa/military. Price tag will probably roll your eyes back!

The boys over at Gunwerks, during one of their videos, showed how to get an appropriate angle of inclination by merely using your hand. I failed to record the show, and have not been able to find it. Technology is great, when it works.....when technology fails, it's nice to have a back-up method! memtb

Added for those who like the visual:

Yah, it would be nice for the price they charge but at the end of the day its built into my range finder so not that big of deal , it would just be a back up.
I got an answer from AB. They said the kestrel doesn't have the sensor for so it, so kestrel would need to put a separate sensor in.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.