Determining caliber

docmark

I acquired a rifle a while back that was presented as a 375 H& H. It is a Winchester action but there is no stamp on the barrel (or anywhere) that would indicate the caliber. It may be an aftermarket barrel I assume? My question is how can I determine if it truly is a 375 H&H? I am a little reluctant to just throw some 375 H&H ammo in it and shoot. Thanks for the advice from those who know more than I do.

I acquired a rifle a while back that was presented as a 375 H& H. It is a Winchester action but there is no stamp on the barrel (or anywhere) that would indicate the caliber. It may be an aftermarket barrel I assume? My question is how can I determine if it truly is a 375 H&H? I am a little reluctant to just throw some 375 H&H ammo in it and shoot. Thanks for the advice from those who know more than I do.
you can do a chamber cast this should let you know what you have

Other than a chamber cast, try obtaining a DUMMY 375H&H round and see if it chambers first.
You can also use a vernier to measure the bore at the muzzle, the groove diameter is bullet diameter.
If the dummy 375 doesn't chamber, then a chamber cast will tell you what you have.

Cheers.

Thanks guys. I did all of the above. A 375 H&H cartridge did fit and after removing the stock there was still no markings. I am still a little concerned so sent it to a gunsmith for chamber casting. Thanks for the advice

Good call. Neighbor kid brought his "7mm" up a few years ago to sight in . No markings in it nowhere first look at the end of the barrel I knew it wasn't a 7 mm of any kind . Put the ol measure thingy mabobber on it and it was sure as crap 30 cal. No way a 7 mm would have fit after a lengthy discussion with his step dad I convinced him to run it by a local smith here and they found out it was a 308. His step dad swore up and down it was a 7 mm

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.