Desert Tech SRS A1 owners

Billy Bob

Hi everyone,

I am considering purchasing a Desert Tech SRS A1 in either 338 Norma or Lapua and I was wondering if any owners could give me some feed back on how you like them.

Are they all that they are made out to be or have you had problems with them? I am not making the purchased based on the ability to switch barrels but more a combination of apparent quality, length and lets face it they do look good.

I can get a rifle built using a stiller action and manners stock etc a little cheaper although it will take 6+ months to get it and in the end I am not sure it would shoot any better than the DT.

Thanks
Billy Bob

You'll either love it or hate it. What you see is what you get and if you don't like it then it's not for you. Their ability to change barrels and cartridge families is only cool if you're restricted to the number of "firearms" you can posses or you need the space savings.

The actual rifle itself is pretty sweet. I shot one with a 260 26" barrel. It balances towards the back of the rifle and the ergomics were great. The bolt position is easy to get used to and the trigger is good but it's definitely not a Jewel. The rifle was a joy to shoot and 1/2 MOA groups were normal with the one I was shooting out to 870 yards (furthest I shot it).

The length of the design is what I love so much. Having a gun be carbine length with a full length barrel is just bad ***. If they were $2-3K to get your first set up I would start saving but at their current pricing I'd rather build 2 rifles for the price of your first SRS.

I know I'm a little late, but I love mine! My dad and I both put 5 shots inside 3" at 550 yards with factory ammo on our first range trip. I have the 308 and I'm planning on a 300 Win next year.

I love my DTA too. I picked up a Gen 1 second hand; had the handguard machined off so I have a Gen 1 Covert now. I really like how compact it is; the entire thing fits inside the Pelican 1700 case with the 22" 308 barrel attached. The barrel changes are quick, and the fact that I can run one high end optic and get used to one trigger for multiple calibers is a huge bonus for me. The rearward balance is nice if I need to shoot off hand.
Most people start selling off other rifles to fund more barrel purchases, and I have found myself doing that as well.

They aren't for everyone though, so to each their own.

I don't think the plastic is cheap - i think its a high grade polymer, the same they make most handguns from. There is no flex or crush to the grip or cheek weld.
The only downside I see with it is the barrels are about $300 - $500 more (barrel, chambered, fit, cerakote) more expensive than a standard rifle, when it comes time to rebarrel. Some of that is the barrel extension, which is about $200; so if you are replacing a worn out barrel, you can scavenge the barrel extension from it and deduct that $200 from the total cost.
Thats my two cents.

I love my Desert Tech Covert. I've got the 308 and 300 Win Mag conversions.
Very accurate. The factory guarantees 1/2 MOA, and my experience has been that that the guarantee is very conservative. Lots of same hole and touching holes at 100 yards during sight in.

I like having one optic, and practicing with the same cheek weld and trigger pull and ergonomics in both calibers. I train more with the 308, which is cheaper, and it seems to transition over nicely to the 300Win Mag conversion, which costs more to shoot.

The only down side I've seen is weight. They weigh more than a lightweight hunting rifle.

For those of you that hunt with the DTA. Is it too heavy? What's your hunting style? Any long hikes?

For those of you that hunt with the DTA. Is it too heavy? What's your hunting style? Any long hikes?

Yes. It is too heavy.

I backpack hunt and cover a lot of miles, moving camp most days.

I could save 4 or 5 pounds with a different gun. However, the SRS is so accurate and so familiar, that the extra weight is worth it for me.

I save the weight on other camping items. Everything else I bring with me is as light as possible, and I leave some stuff behind (like a spotting scope.)

But, heavy as it is, when it comes time to take the shot, I like having the SRS. It's a no-compromise gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.