DeQueen Arkansas

IndianaMatt

Hey guys, I may be making a move to southwestern Arkansas. I was wondering what information you guys may have about the area. How is the hunting, shooting, out door recreation?
Thanks
Matthew

Lived in Hot Springs for five years and traveled the state. Fishing was great. Crappie, bass, and big strippers in Quachita. Not much long range. We hunted deer with dogs on logging company land with shotguns. The people are really nice and love their HOGS.

Its nice rural part of the state. Not a lot around it. Its not far from Broken Bow, Ok and a little farther to Texarkana. A ton of outdoor activities to enjoy. Fishing is especially good. Many lakes, rivers and creeks. Good deer hunting, but its mostly woods hunting with the occasional power line. Hwy 71 is a very nice drive all the way to Fort Smith and on to Fayetteville. Hot Springs has several nice lakes and Oaklawn Race Track.Most people who move in to Arkansas tend to like it and stay.

Lived in Hot Springs for five years and traveled the state. Fishing was great. Crappie, bass, and big strippers in Quachita. Not much long range. We hunted deer with dogs on logging company land with shotguns. The people are really nice and love their HOGS.

Is Arkansas a shotgun only deer state?

Nope, not in that area (may depend on if you are hunting a WMA). Most of the hunting land I've been to in south Arkansas is deer camps leased from paper company. The leases I've been on were pine forrest, and yes there were those that ran dogs. Don't care for any of that.

It's not a shotgun only state. As Bravo said above, an awful lot of south Arkansas is leased hunting by clubs, but there is still a lot of public land available to hunt.

Oklahoma has hunting opportunities, but of course different laws. Don't worry about the dogs. As I said, I'm not sure it's even legal anymore. I've not heard of anyone running dogs for years. Years ago Arkansas had two one week seasons per year. With such limited access, hunters ran dogs to increase their chances of seeing more deer. With the extended season we have now, that's a thing of the past. Plus the deer population has grown substantially since those days. You won't have any problem finding hunting opportunities.

Dogs are still allowed for hunting in those areas, and I know guys that use them by the dozen. Not everyone does, problem is that dogs can & will go wherever they want. Even if you don't use them I've known of guys setting them loose next to other property to run the deer off said property.
Anyways, don't want to scare you off. There is good hunting, at times I go to the Ozarks.

Just saying. I've lived here all my life and have hunted here most of my life. I don't know anyone that still runs dogs. If they still do in that area to any large degree, it comes as a surprise to me.

Best thing about Arkansas is it's proximity to Texas! ;) I may be slightly biased though as Texas is my home.

Arkansas is beautiful though, and if the hunting there is not your style, you are surrounded by amazing freshwater fishing, beautiful landscapes, great camping/hiking, and other states that offer the same and/or more opportunities...all within a short drive. If the move is for work/school/other life priority, I wouldn't worry about it a bit. You'll find a way to make a great home there, and enjoy all it has to offer. No place is perfect, outside of Texas of course, but there seem to be lots of happy members on this board no matter where they live.

Arkansas has a lot to offer any sportsman. Western AR is mountains. Much of it is public land open to hunting. After leaf drop you can shoot from one to the other, just like out west, and as far as you are man enough to hit one. From about the center to the eastern part of the State it is flat Mississippi river delta. Southern AR is mostly leased timber company delta land. It is Arkansas' deer factory. On good leases you could shoot a deer every morning till you run out of tags, and it isn't hard or expensive to get in a good lease. South Arkansas deer tend to be small with small racks. Delta cropland deer are much larger, and harder to get in on. Big beanfields offer very challenging shots. Arkansas has the best Brown Trout fishery in the world, and great opportunities for all warm water fresh water fish as well. Residents also have the opportunity to hunt black bear and elk. Waterfowl hunting is unequaled in the lower 48. We are a gun friendly state and most towns have some form of local competitive shooting. Great place to raise kids and a low cost of living. Guys, whatever you don't tell anyone I told you all this :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.