Dents/Crimp on shoulder cause?

Hopefully this helps. The first 4 are of a piece before and after sizing. The last one is a sized piece next to one that hasn't been.
In the original pics the necks look deformed also. Am I seeing that or is it me. Lines. Like a neck sizing problem.

In the picture, the neck looks longer on the sized brass. Are you pushing the shoulder back too far?

What chamber were those once fired 25-06 cases fired in?
I have no idea if I am pushing the necks back too far, like I said very inexperienced here. I very well could be. How do I determine if I am?

I have no idea what they were fired in.

Incorrect info wrong understanding of the fired case.

Last edited:
With this being an AI rifle, should I be expanding the neck to seat bullets and then fire forming before I full length size?

Or am I ok to just FL size right away?

I have no idea if I am pushing the necks back too far, like I said very inexperienced here. I very well could be. How do I determine if I am?

Ok now I see there was a second page. So it is an AI. I did not waste long post and look sily.

You should enjoy ut once you get fire formed case. A few guys I know love the perf they get out of the 6.5-06AI.

Last edited:
If you are inexperienced as you state do some reading or start another post of "Help Fireforming loads for 6.5-06AI" and give all your details. Plenty of guys on here have done this specific cartidge.

Do us a favor. Run one piece of brass through just the expander, don't run the ram all the way up. Just want to see 6.5 neck. Your dented case next to the neck up only.

I think the neck shoulder junction is further ahead on a standard 25-06 then a normal 6.5-06, so you are moving the neck/shoulder junction forward by simply sizing a 25-06 up to 6.5, and then trying to set the neck/shoulder junction back at least 0.040".

The dented case is much longer than the other case as well, are you hitting the end of the die?

Something else you can do is take the expander button and decapping assembly out completely and size a 25-06 case. You can see if you are moving the shoulders that way also. Usually form dies have several dies in the set, it doesn't try to do everything at once. I think you are doing too much with one press stroke.

Do you have the rifle? Or are you just making ammo? Any wildcat/AI rifle should be used in conjunction with your dies when you are making ammo until you figure out what you are doing and have a solid plan of attack. As a novice reloader, it sounds like you will learn lots from this experience, don't get discouraged.

Edit: thinking more about this, I don't think a 25-06 case sized without a neck job will result in anything. A good ackley chamber will only touch at - 0.004" below the neck /shoulder junction for a crush fit on factory ammo, so with a neck that is undersized it shouldn't touch a case unless there is a very serious flaw somewhere. You can always expand the neck only, then take out the decapping assembly and try moving the shoulder. You really need the rifle to keep sizing down until it closes with light pressure.

Last edited:
To much case lube and or debris up in the die clean die well and use a little less case lube ,check the vent hole to make sure its not plugged on the die I think all of these done will cure your problem.These are possibilities but also setting the shoulder back to far will cause this. Adjust your die down to where it just touches the shell holder with the ram all the way up on your press and try one without having the die down any further than just touching the shell holder.

Last edited:

You have to measure them to determine how the length is being changed.

Since you don't know what they were fired in, I'm guessing they weren't fired in your father in law's 6.5-06. My next guess, based on the pictures and without knowing any dimensions, is those 25-06 cases were fired in a 280 AI chamber.

I would have to know some dimensions of the cases before I can offer any valuable information.

Deleted

Helps to be able to see the pics before making comments so your not going back and deleting them

Last edited:
If I understood the OP's later comments he left some critical data out of his orhinal post which he added in later post.

The rifle is 6.5-06AI and the cases he is trying to size are standard 25-06.

I would assume his dad purchased a FL die to match the rifle chamber. That would make the die a 6.5-06AI FL die.
I think you have some flaws in your understanding. A standard 25-06 has a 17.25° shoulder. The unsized case pictures don't have a 17.25° shoulder.

It is not his Father's rifle, It belongs to his Father-in-law.

Last edited:
Edd,

Thank you for sending my post from helpful into ignorant. Lol. Thats what I get for posting in the morning.

Thanks for the correction. On my phone I can not make out the pic well. I could just see the crushed shoulder.

Edited my posts so I do not confuse things for op

Last edited:
Your once fired 2506 brass looks like a larger diameter neck than the 6.5 sized case.

I load for a 12-15 different rifle calibers and I have this same problem on .300WBY only
. No other caliber has ever done this on me.

This is caused by one or both of two things. I suspect that your shoulder is set too deep and you need to back off your die 1/4 turn and try another one. If it still does it then back off 1/8 turn and try again. Also check how much lubricant you are using. I would take some brake or carburetor cleaner and clean the inside of your die before trying another attempt as you might have excessive lubricant inside of it.
Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts