Dented shoulders

I had a Redding 260 Rem FL die that dented the shoulder on every case. Called Redding, sent it back with 5 fired cases, and they had the same problem. They sent me a new die.

I used Unique/Pacific case lube using my fingers for years with no problems switching to RCBS case slick in the pump spray bottle when I had large quantities of cases to size, again no problem. About 20 years ago I was out of Case Slick and picked up a spray can of Hornady One Shot, I stuck 2- .270 Winchester cases back to back, in over 50 years of reloading these are the only cases I have had stuck, I was using Winchester cases and Redding dies. I pitched the One Shot, stocked up on Case Slick as soon as I found some and have not had a problem since.

What is odd is that you mention every third or fourth case. If it was lube or vent hole wouldn't you get the same issue on a first or second case also ? Are you possibly making a quicker stroke when you get to these cases ? Which could possibly be not letting the air escape quick enough ? Is the dent in the same location & size every time ?
Redding has no vent holes in some dies. More than likely too much wax, wrong type of wax, bad case prep, dirty dies, or bad sizing techniques. Might be a badly made die. Post #13 is how I solved my issues with Redding dies. Just me, IMHO.

I used Unique/Pacific case lube using my fingers for years with no problems switching to RCBS case slick in the pump spray bottle when I had large quantities of cases to size, again no problem. About 20 years ago I was out of Case Slick and picked up a spray can of Hornady One Shot, I stuck 2- .270 Winchester cases back to back, in over 50 years of reloading these are the only cases I have had stuck, I was using Winchester cases and Redding dies. I pitched the One Shot, stocked up on Case Slick as soon as I found some and have not had a problem since.
Using finger lube like Case Slick or Imperial works well if I am loading a small batch. But spray Hornady One Shot is better for my process. I use it 99% of the time now. Using it about 3 years now not one stuck case. Maybe they have changed the formula since you tried it last? Don't know. It is ok for me, but maybe not for everyone. IMHO. It all comes down to preference. Really hate sticking a case though. 😒 PITA

Case Slick is not a finger lube, it comes in a pump spray bottle, I too went to that when doing large quantities of cases instead of the finger lube. I agree that maybe Hornady could have changed their formula for the One Shot, it was 20 plus years ago when I had my experience with it. Other reloaders I talked to experienced similar problems around that same time period.

Redding has no vent holes in some dies. More than likely too much wax, wrong type of wax, bad case prep, dirty dies, or bad sizing techniques. Might be a badly made die. Post #13 is how I solved my issues with Redding dies. Just me, IMHO.
Which is why I was asking if he had possibly sped up his process on the third or fourth round. Possibly just enough to not let the air escape in time before denting the shoulder. I understand there are no vent holes. But air escapes somewhere, possibly threads. And going faster would prevent the air from escaping at the needed time, Just a thought. As someone else stated a vent hole could be applied to eliminate this as a possible cause.

I've been using one shot case lube for a very long time and been very happy. If you use it correctly you even get the inside of the necks properly lubed for the expander to slide easily.

Which is why I was asking if he had possibly sped up his process on the third or fourth round. Possibly just enough to not let the air escape in time before denting the shoulder. I understand there are no vent holes. But air escapes somewhere, possibly threads. And going faster would prevent the air from escaping at the needed time, Just a thought. As someone else stated a vent hole could be applied to eliminate this as a possible cause.
I think your on track. I've always thought using the tinned hard lubes such as Imperial (not that they are problematic, they are good products) lent themselves to not being applied evenly. 🤔 But then anything you coat the cases with could have the same problem. My guess is possibly over application of lube or no vent holes. 🤔 Both will cause dents. Ask me how I know. 😉 Not often the dies are at fault, but it does happen. If the OP has run through all other possibilities, I would send the die back to the manufacturer for inspection. Then drill vent holes myself. But that's just me.

Case Slick is not a finger lube, it comes in a pump spray bottle, I too went to that when doing large quantities of cases instead of the finger lube. I agree that maybe Hornady could have changed their formula for the One Shot, it was 20 plus years ago when I had my experience with it. Other reloaders I talked to experienced similar problems around that same time period.
Your right, my goof 🤪 .

Update on the 6.5 prc. Ran the AW2 reamer, switched to SAC bushings in a whidden FL die using hornady unique case lube and haven't had any problems yet

I have been reloading for over 45 years and recently ran into a problem resizing cases. Using Redding Premium resizing dies and Hornady Unique lube on Hornady 6.5 PRC cases. I use the precision Redding shell holder set and maintain bumping the shoulder .001-.002. On every 3rd or 4th case I notice a small dent in the shoulder, some worse than others. I load many different calibers and in my reloading career have dented a case or two but has always been an over lubrication issue. I have tried just as little lube as possible and cleaning the die multiple times and gone through all the remedies posted on Reddings site. Does anyone else have this issue with 6.5 PRC cases and resizing?
I think if you are running the bump at .001 to .002 your set up could be too tight and not all of your brass will exactly respond without denting

I ran 20 rounds through the Redding full length sizing die again this last week. I first cleaned the die then I used imperial die wax and a nylon coated brush for the inside case necks. Paid very close attention to my operating speed and amount of lubrication. I stopped at 10 and cleaned the die again. I made it through the first 10 cases without a single shoulder dent. When running the second batch of 10 I dented a case on number 10. It never dents on the case body or shoulder junction. Just the face of the shoulder. I will attach a pic.

Attachments

• 4424949B-0BEA-463E-8C21-BD1B51F7377E.jpeg
    4424949B-0BEA-463E-8C21-BD1B51F7377E.jpeg
    931.1 KB · Views: 49
I have been reloading for over 45 years and recently ran into a problem resizing cases. Using Redding Premium resizing dies and Hornady Unique lube on Hornady 6.5 PRC cases. I use the precision Redding shell holder set and maintain bumping the shoulder .001-.002. On every 3rd or 4th case I notice a small dent in the shoulder, some worse than others. I load many different calibers and in my reloading career have dented a case or two but has always been an over lubrication issue. I have tried just as little lube as possible and cleaning the die multiple times and gone through all the remedies posted on Reddings site. Does anyone else have this issue with 6.5 PRC cases and resizing?
Could you post a photo of the case, it would/could help with what is going on with the dent issue.