DeLorme PN 60 or Garmin 62

Birdhunter1

I am in the market for either GPS unit. I have been told by a guy I work with teh downloads and updates are cheaper from DeLorme than they are for Garmin and that more can be done with the Delorme. Personally I am not a techie person so 90% of what he tells me falls on ears that aren't comprehending anyway.

However I do see that the Garmin is also compatible with a heart rate strap and I do alot of bicycling so I do see that being useful in tandem with the Garmin gps and my map my ride app on my phone that I keep track of my riding. Woudl the Delorme also do this?

Here is what my future GPS to do: (I am knowledgeable enough to store waypoints, tracks, routes and such and pan the map to another spot and set it as my destination).
1). Stay on public lands in states that I hunt in to avoid trespassing fines
2). Get me back to my truck, camp, tent etc.

I have played around with my coworkers Delorme PN-30 and it is cool that it has a satellite map on it. I am assuming the PN-60 will take a download of the BLM Map for Wyoming and overlay it right over that satellite map?

I am seeing the purchase cost being close to equal on them.

I have a DeLorme PN-60 and previously had a PN-20. I have had older Garmin models and use my GPS's for running tracks while horseback riding. The accuracy and signal acquisition under the forest canopy of the PN-20 was very good and the PN-60 is better. The maps that can be downloaded from the DeLorme Map Library may be cheaper, offer a lot of options, and include USGS topo's BUT are time consuming and labor intensive to download. DeLorme used to sell the an entire state of USGS 7.5 minute maps on CD but stopped that. I went with the PN-60 because I have all of the mounts and accessories for the PN-20 and got a deal in the Cabela's Bargain Cave.
Starting all over again and the next time, I will buy a Garmin. You can't buy the third party map cards for the DeLorme that give you property boundaries and BLM lands that are offered for the Garmins. Nor, have I seen that data available for download. For your hunting interest, I would recommend the Garmin. DeLorme has a stronger orientation to yuppies playing with Geocache rather than hunting.

+2 for the Garmin. I have the GPSMAP 62s and love it. If you are considering, or ever will consider, the download or chip from huntinggpsmaps remember they are only compatible with Garmin products.

Thanks guys. I ended up getting a used Etrex Legend CX and the huntingpsmaps sd card for Wyoming. Playing around with the unit here in IL and looking at the map I will be able to go where I was wanting to go and navigate around just fine.
A coworker gave me one good piece of advice, around home and in this area I live and I can get the topo maps and sat imagery free on my phone through an app that I use often and I will likely only use the gps in Wyoming. Here near where I live I have cell service just about anywhere.

Actually I can get the sat imagery on the phone with or without signal so I will still have sat imagery while in Wyoming.

One of our group had one, Delorme and it took a dump so my vote is for Garmin as well. You already made the right choice so it's moot anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.