delemma...what 338 chambered rifle to start with?

DC,
Ya that is pretty much what I have gathered from him over the years. If you went to his shop around this time last year, I was the moron who had him cut the end off my shotgun barrel, which I had blown up rabbit hunting. He got a kick out of that (since I was still alive, lol) and I assume showed all his buddies coming in. hehe.

I need to move out of the city so I can get a couple guns built. It would almost being like throughing away money doing it here....

dgr416,
about the 338-378. I have heard that the barrels are very short lived. what is your experience or what have you heard.

Xring01 why a 30 cal over a 338 cal? I shoot 30 cals and 338 cals. in LTR. And the 338 has better range and is better agenst the wind. IMO You can do all of what a 308 will do with a 338 and more. IMO

LeMay OUT

Hey Brent, I got a question for ya. A little earlier in this topic you mentioned something about custom actions not having an extractor for brass to flow into. Is that right, or did I read that wrong?
confused.gif

I didn't go back to look, but I meant ejector if I said extractor in that statement. They all use extractors for the obvious reason. I guess you could use a cleaning rod.
grin.gif

I can tell your Hall G has a round one too, the case you sent my long time ago had several raised marks on it
grin.gif

I know the customs can be had either way.

Brent Posted:
The advantage of a custom -

NO ejector for brass to flow into at over 70k psi = easy opening bolt if it were to be enough happen.

[ 01-10-2004: Message edited by: Brent ]

Yep

I have ejector marks after brass has been fired 2x times but, only with the "heavy loads" I use when hunting out west.

Drop the charge 4 to 5 grains and no marks.

The Hall (G) action can take it as it is well thought of in the big cartridge, ultra longrange hunters and shooters, group.
Like mine a lot.

Later
DC
smile.gif

I'm not familiar with that bolt design, but it wouldn't be hard. I'm sure it's a big thick one.

I counted 5 ejector marks pretty easily seen, 3 more if you looked real hard. No biggie, I've seen remington stuff that could have used filing back down, if you felt like using with loose primer pockets. I've got marks on some of these 30-338 Lapua brass that is close to what the 338/416 case has, not raised, but marked.

I don't like to see any marks get raised, just screws up headspace and creats hastles chambering when the die is set perfectly tight already. You can measure it with a caliper, if you run 001" - .002" headspace, but have a .002" - .004" extrusion, you now have tight headspace, and out of square casehead, and consistancy just went to hell.

I'd choose one with no ejector if I spent the money on one.

I have two AMT stainless actions without ejectors. Right bolt, left port. Both chambered for the 6.5/284. Pain in the *** pulling the cases out everytime.

For Ultra LR hunting using he Big stuff, I want the ejector in the custom actions.
If we need another shot quickly, another round can be chamber much faster.

Later
DC

Alrighty then guys, I have another question for ya. I know that the custom actions are much bigger than factory ones, the McBros for the .50 probably being the biggest. I know that the bolt body is much thickere than factory. The McBros is 1.5" diameter, my question is... How would you make an extractor work when the bolt is 1.5" thick and the max .50 BMG dia is .800"?? I don't really see how that would work. Can someone assist me?
grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.