Deforming Nozler Accubond bullet tips

I took my Redding Competition seating die apart and removed my Berger VLD seating plug to reinstall the original seating plug that came with the die. Frankly, they looked identical. I sent an inquiry to Redding to get a part number for other seating plugs that might be available. Received a sorry this is Covid response. Hopefully, they'll send someone to work soon....

PS: I did contact Christensen and they never responded. That's the same word I use about ever buying another Christensen rifle. Looks like their customer service is as flaky as Kimber. No more of either brand in my gun safe! If I can't settle this baby down with tangent ogive bullets, that Christensen carbon wrap barrel is going to be replaced by a Proof Research barrel!!
I called Redding last week ,( 07/28/2020), spoke to a human and got part numbers for an Instant Indicator I bought at a sportsman's yard sale.
As far as I'm concerned, they're back to work.
I'm bettin' you have the wrong Die Seating Stem. From the look of your bullets, appears like it's a stem for a 6mm/284 instead of a 6.5mm/284. But then if you reinstalled the original Seating Stem that came with the die,.........that stem is for Standard bullets.

link to Redding Die Seating Stem Chart:

Last edited:
When I opened my first box of lapua 65284 brass the bullets went in perfectly...since then I ordered two more boxes...opened one and primed..loaded..and bullets were being shaved up the sides.....yes the necks were extremely tight...all 100 had to be resized.....

I was referring to the "damage" on the bullet. I suppose tight necks with burrs would scrape some brass from the bullet tho.

These weren't burrs...or dings...they all looked perfect.....tight enough to say they might have been .257 brass....even tight going into resizer......

Did not try....all are stamped correctly...i just resized and went about my business.....
Haven't checked the second new box...probably won't til I need them.....

I mentioned this a few months ago since I was having a similar problem seating compressed loads with the 142 ABLR. Just bed the seating plug with epoxy using the pill that is deforming and dedicate it to that pill and they will look factory new after seating (you can also use them for other similar ogives). The ABLR seem very soft at the ogive and likely what makes them so effective at longer ranges. Just make sure it is bedded as strait as possible and it will help in alignment also. Use a good releasing agent as it can be a little difficult to remove once epoxy is cured. Bushing dies are great for being able to control neck tension if this is the problem.

I bought a Christensen Ridgeline 6.5-284 that has too much jump and won't shoot Berger VLD Hunting bullets accurately. I can't seat the bullets near the lands of the bore. There is almost 0.200 of jump with secant ogive bullets. I'm trying various tangent ogive bullets to see if I can settle down the groups. My problem: I'm deforming the bullet tips on the Accubond bullets. Switched my Redding Competition Seater back to the original seating plug (removed the VLD plug), but the deformation is too severe to continue. I ordered 21st Century dies & mandrels to open up my new Lapua brass. However, I'd appreciate some advice re/ this issue. Are others having problems? Do particular seating dies work best with tangent ogive bullets? Thank you in advance.
Frankly, it looks like you're trying to seat .270 bullets in a .264 case neck!

Frankly, it looks like you're trying to seat .270 bullets in a .264 case neck!

Which can be done without damaging bullet or case. I FL sized a 25-06 case with no expansion and was able to seat a .264 caliber bullet into it with no problem. Funny thing is that it took very little effort to pull it afterwards. Wrote about it here IIRC. If the OP was seating over a compressed load he was using a LOT more effort than he should and damaging both the tip and the other part of the bullet below it.

Will those ELDM Hornady stems fit in your seating die? this may do it. if not u could buy just the hornady seating die. I do all the above. Their 1st gen stems didn't go well for the heavier longer pills, but the 2nd batch is better. you could also ream a stem with your given bullet and low grit heavy sandpaper. it will shape the inside if it. takes time & evn more patience.

I have never seem that before

Here is I think the pic I posted previously. If you look closely you can see where the bullet base is in the seated round.

Soooooo, it can be done, but I wouldn't advise doing it.

zRAfEZL.jpg

I took my Redding Competition seating die apart and removed my Berger VLD seating plug to reinstall the original seating plug that came with the die. Frankly, they looked identical. I sent an inquiry to Redding to get a part number for other seating plugs that might be available. Received a sorry this is Covid response. Hopefully, they'll send someone to work soon....

PS: I did contact Christensen and they never responded. That's the same word I use about ever buying another Christensen rifle. Looks like their customer service is as flaky as Kimber. No more of either brand in my gun safe! If I can't settle this baby down with tangent ogive bullets, that Christensen carbon wrap barrel is going to be replaced by a Proof Research barrel!!

I called Redding Monday morning to get a seater stem for my 300 WSM dies. Answered on the second ring, connected me to tech service, advised me of the part #, then told me who had the part in stock closest to my zip code and gave me their phone number. Great service.

I also called Christensen Arms about 3 weeks ago about my Ridgeline, answered on first try but was on hold for about 5 minutes. Asked for Tech support and got tech immediately. I had some questions about their spot bedding on the action. They offered to bed the entire barreled action and I need to pay shipping there. Great service.

I've had nothing but excellent service from these 2 companies. As I have also recently with RCBS, HORNADY, BERGARA, BROWNELLS, BRUNOS, CAC, ETC.. have I had some trouble making contact sometimes, yes... but everyone eventually helped. I had some long hold times but eventually got through. The good old phone resulted my best results. Just saying...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts