Deforming Nozler Accubond bullet tips

The only way you can deform a bullet like that is with a compressed load.I bet it won't do that if you seat the bullet in an empty case.

Looking at the tip of the bullet it looks like your die completely changed the diameter of that bullet up top and down to where the ring stops. It looks like it contacted it up high and then modified the bullet tip dimension drastically. You mentioned you put the original seating plug back in. Did you mistakenly put the wrong seating plug back in. If not then I'm thinking the wrong caliber bullet here as that deformation is extreme and must have required some serious effort on your part when seating.

Last edited:
On a well prepped case, chamferred and with proper neck tension I have never experienced what you have shown.
Please post what your numbers are, you do not state anywhere what your calculated neck tension is.
BB

At the very least I run new brass through a mandrel to uniform the necks before fire forming loads . have you measured the case id ? Would be interesting to know. I have experienced deformation similar to that but it was on 7mm that had been reloaded 6 times and not annealed . also I am a big fan of dry case lube it helps with consistent seating and bullet weld if you load several hundred rounds and don't get a chance to shoot them in a timely manner also might help reduce run out due to less seating stress on the bullets and case

To deform a tip like that would mean way too much applied force. How is the handle pressure when you seat the bullet? It shouldn't take much pressure with proper neck tension. I always run new brass through the dies to take the dings out from shipping. I had an issue with Nosler BT 30 cal 180 grain bullets where the seating stem pushed too much on the tip and created a fine flair in the jacket where it met the tip. I fixed it with some work to the seating stem but your issue doesn't appear to be the same.

If the neck of the brass was too tight,it would collapse the brass before it would deform the tip of the bullet.I think the bullet was seated tight against the powder in the case and the continued pressure of seating the bullet reformed the bullet to the shape of the inside of the seater die.Check your die set.

I crushed the shoulder on a case when seating the bullet. The seating die was set up incorrectly. Even with that I didn't deform the accubond bullet. You got to be putting one hell of a lot of pressure on that bullet. I surprise the case didn't deform. Either you got a wrong die, or wrong dia of bullet. I have used noslers bullets for years, and never had that probable like that. In several different caliber bullets to boot.

I use the RCBS match seater with open front for bullet. I also use those Accubonds and don't have any issues. I have deformed bullets like that when crimping with seater die, but the RCBS match with micrometer won't allow for crimp. you crimp with separate die..

Have the same rifle, CA Ridgeline in 6.5-284 Norma. Just got it myself so working on load development as well. Running Lapua brass w/130 AB's and Berger VLD Hunters w/RL 23. With the VLD's, measured CBTO at 2.595, which is what I'm running my ladder at. Running the AB's with a 0.020 jump (2.613). Using Hornady New Dimesion dies and haven't had any issues like you are experiencing. Admittedly most all on here are more knowledgeable than I but thought I'd share as we have the same setup.

Attachments

• 76006559-F7B8-47A0-B957-FE934A487DB8.jpeg
    76006559-F7B8-47A0-B957-FE934A487DB8.jpeg
    676.9 KB · Views: 119
  • 6F2FA625-4B63-4326-8BEA-BA541DB3C0BA.jpeg
    6F2FA625-4B63-4326-8BEA-BA541DB3C0BA.jpeg
    627.9 KB · Views: 141
  • 795AD330-2BC8-4534-82C5-54B17DA91FAE.jpeg
    795AD330-2BC8-4534-82C5-54B17DA91FAE.jpeg
    620.4 KB · Views: 121
  • 55002B01-1D1D-4C66-85F8-DD5D0B2153E8.jpeg
    55002B01-1D1D-4C66-85F8-DD5D0B2153E8.jpeg
    744.8 KB · Views: 154
I had the same thing years ago, always with new brass. I now FL resize all my new brass. Also had a more pronounced episode with a new seating dye.... ordered a new stem and cup and problem solved, which caused a very through check of the whole dye. I ordered a new dye from manufacturer and didn't have a problem. Sent the first dye and original seating stem back with a letter and they refunded the money and stated they could find nothing wrong with the dye; had this with 6 mm, 270, 30:06. Brass was new in all cases, and different makers. I decided to FL resize all new brass in 1976.

That's just plain odd right there! If this were on an accubond long range it'd be less odd but still unusual. The original accubonds aren't so long or pointy as to be out of the ordinary for what die makers build around. I had some issues deforming the tips on hornady 225 eld m bullets in my .300 win mag, it was a compressed load, and hornady does recommend buying special seating stems for these which I did not use (honesty time - cheapest lee dies money can buy, no mods, resulted in a repeatable one ragged hole group load). This was largely alleviated by seating them very slowly, and in intervals - seat 1/3 of total seating depth, remove, rotate cartridge a bit, seat another 1/3 further, rotate a bit again, finish seating, again, super slow. The rotating thing helps with concentricity (or maybe it doesn't but I'm happy with the result of my whole process and am leaving it alone)
If it aint broke,,,,,,,,,,,

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.