Deforming Nozler Accubond bullet tips

Just a guess but could it be that the inside dimensions of the neck area in your Reeding Competition seater die a little tight and when trying to seat a bullet in the case won't allow the neck to expand out enough in the die. I know that Lapua brass is pretty thick and my 6.5-284 Norma rifle chamber won't take a case neck that thick so I have to cut each case neck down about 0.001" around. I have never tried to seat a bullet in a un-preped case for my 6.5-284. I just measured my new Lapua brass neck thickness to be 0.016" and my cut necks to be 0.015". My suggestion would be to cut the case neck and try to seat a bullet then. This may cure your problem. Another thing that you may want to do is to call Redding and ask them what the dimension is in the neck area of your seating die.

Great comments. Thank you for your interest and thoughts. Work has been crazy lately, so it's been a while since I posted and update. As I mentioned I'm living out of a suitcase working on the road, so I don't have all my gear. Have procured a few essentials. First, a good digital caliper. The new Lapua brass necks were oval: 0.256 to 0.263 as close as I could measure. Put all the brass through a 21st Century 0.262 mandrel. Situation improved but slight deformation persisted with the Accubond bullets seated with my Reading match, micrometer seating die. Bought a standard set of RCBS dies that seated the Accubonds with only slight deformation. I'm seating Nozzler Ballistic Tip Hunting bullets using either seating die without deformation. Also seating Barnes 140 gr LRX bullets using either seating die without deformation. My conclusions: 1) New brass needs to be prep'd, 2) I couldn't seat my preferred bullet, Berger 140 gr VLD Hunting (secant ogive) in the Christensen Ridgeline because of excessive freebore. 3) I'm seating the tangent ogive bullets 0.010 off the lands. Need range time to assess performance. 4) I will have my machinist nephew open one of my Redding die seating plugs to match the contour of the Nozler tangent ogive bullets. We'll see... 5) I have to assume that the Nozzler Accubond bullets have a very thin copper jacket because they seem very susceptible to deformation. Hopefully, the Ballistic Tip or LRX bullets will provide long range accuracy. Otherwise, the Christensen carbon wrap barrel is going to the trash bin and Proof Research will get a shot!! Oh well, back to the grind...... I'll report ladder test, accuracy, and velocity data after I find time to get to the range! Hunting season is just around the corner.....

Found a load! Seated 140 gr, Nozler Ballistic Tip 0.010 off lands, 55.5 gr Retumbo, CCI 200, Lapua brass. Tangent ogive bullets perform better than Berger secant ogive bullets in the Christensen Ridgeline rifle. Thanks again for your interest & comments. Final thought, anyone know where I can buy some more Retumbo powder?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts