Definition of Long Range?

jhendri2

Just out of curiousity, I would like to hear everyones definition of what distance "Long Range" is. I've read a myriad of post's on here that reference as low as 400 up to 2000 yards.

My personnel thoughts is "long range" is anything longer than the norm. Therefore, I would say 500 yards and beyond.

Like I say, this is just to see what others think (not to cause any arguements). If this topic has been discussed in the past I apologize in advance.

thanks,

Jim

As you might have guessed, I shoot mostly varmints at longrange. Here is how I see it:
> 1/4 mile = longrange
> 1/2 mile = very long range
out there where these guys shoot = super natural range
grin.gif

Hello
I have a little bit different perspective on the terminology of Longrange and extreme longrange shooting/hunting.
Probably because of the amount of years doing it and the equipment accumulated dictates my personal range figures.

I feel the term can be different as per the animal you are after. The smaller the target(woodchuck) the longrange term would be a tad shorter as per yardage.
A deer or elk size animal, the term and yardage would be extended.

For small varmints---500 to 1000 yards would be LR--- From 1000 yards to 1500 this extends to extreme longrange, after 1500, ultra extreme longrange would be the title.

For deer or elk size animals-----750 to 1250yds would be longrange and from 1250 to 2000 yards , would be extreme longrange.
After 2000 yards would be Ultra extreme longrange.

This may not fall into everyones catagory but, it falls into my hunting friends and mine.

An added note here--We don't shoot at ANY woodchucks unless they are 600 yards out at least. Anything less, with the equipment we have, is an automatic kill EVERY shot and I don't lie.
If it were P Dogs that range would be 100 yards shorter to start with.

Later
Darryl Cassel

PS--- You should always shoot to YOUR limitations pertaining to your own knowledge and equipment, regardless of the range.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Jim

I never took the question that way at all.

If you interpited it that way, I'm truly sorry.

With all the problems on that other forum and post about Sierra Match Kings, I just wanted to assure EVERYONE this old timer here don't have cause to lie about anything.

It was NOT directed at you what so ever.

I believe your question was a very good one and I was glad to respond to it.

We are all here for the same reason and that is to understand the "Art" of placing a bullet downrange into the target or animal we are after.

I believe my termination of longrange will be different from others but, it comes from years of doing it.
To me 1000 yards is a piece of cake "Most of the time" at least for deer and elk size animals.

A 500 yard shot we call a 25 "clicker." Most calibers we shoot, takes from 20 to 25 clicks of elevation to be on target at 500 yards from the 100 yard zero.

Sorry if the wording came out wrong, it was not intended to at all, in my original answer.

Darryl Cassel

DC,

Completey understand, that's the one thing wrong with the internet is you can't hear voice inflections so sometimes the meanings are misunderstood.
smile.gif

I read the other thread from the accurate page and there was definately no misunderstanding there. They were against us.

I use a more unproven bullet than most so I didn't want to respond to any of there rantings. I use the 250 gr Lapua Scenar, with great results. So, I completely understand.

Jim

Wow, I think everyone is worried about starting a ****ing contest after that MK debacle. I think it is almost kind of funny how those that shoot at long range are so much more polite. I think it may be due to years of feeling like you, or your practices, where taboo. It really is refreshing to find a place where rational thought and empiricle facts are actually valued above reactionary emotion based opinion.
For my 2 cents, I feel that anything over about 500 yards is long range, for me, if I am using one of my sporter weight rifles,10-12 pounds, and I think if the rifle gets up to 15 or 16 pounds like my new ultra then I think 750 or so is a good place to start. I haven't put enough quality equipment together to go much past 900 yards at this time. I still need a better range finder.I guess I need to put another 500 rounds through my Ultra too, but i have time before next season.
Vince

I agree that it's all a matter of what you are used to doing. I have been heavily involved in shooting since I was old enough to walk but have only been into long range shooting for about a year. My best shot was 460 yards on a woodchuck. For me, that was a very satisfying moment and beat my previous far shot by 200 yards. This year, my goal is a woodchuck at a 1,000 plus. It really depends on your experience and your equipment. I should add that this sport is addictive and takes ALL your money. In the past year, I have had 3 rifles built, bought 3 scopes, a pair of big eyes, a laser range finder, built a portable bench, bought rests, binoculars, and too many reloading supplies to mention. It's fun but man is my wallet light!

DC,

I will always stay within MY limitations. I just wanted to hear everyones definition, I was not asking about reccomendations of how far I should shoot nor was I trying to start an arguement.

I believe that you shoot 'chucks at 600 yards and beyond, I would never say you were lying.

I sincerely apologize if I offended you with my question. It was just for curiousity and to see the different opinions out there of what exactly long range is.

Again, I sincerely apologize if this offended you.

Jim

I'd say long range starts where range determination NEEDS to be within 25yds and ultralong when it NEEDS to be within 10yds or less, specific range would be a little different for the cartridge used though wouldn't it. So was the moose I shot at 640yds longrange? Hummmm.

For me long range started at 100yds than went to 300 then to 500 then past 700. The more I shoot the better the rifles I get the longer the ranges become. But Dave's idea and ranges make a lot of sense as to what long range is. The farther you start hitting at the farther you want to go.

I think long range starts were the shooter must begin either making click adjustments or holding over enough to be off the animal(needing to make click adjustments).

If in reality with most hunters beyond 350-400 yds they have to start implementing some type of skill to be successful. The modern flat shooting rifle/combos we have now let joe average reach out at least that far without much problem as long as they have a good rest and little to no wind.

You guys are definitely way beyond the norm by shooting the distances you do, most people(Easterners at least) don't even have access to a location to practice that far!

I wish we had a good 1,000M range nearby...

Mike

This is a good question, To me it depends on the rifle I have at the time. If I'm playing with a 22 rimfire longrange might be anything past 100 yds. Here in Fl with my everyday deer rifle I can hold dead on to about 300 yds. Long range for it would be past 350 or so. I have another rifle that while I have shot groups plenty good to kill deer size game past 500 I don't have a place to use it. I also beleive it has something to do with the amount of experience and practice you have under your belt. I wish I had some more money to throw at this game than I do because it is fascinating!!! 308

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts