Defiance medium action (rem 700 SA) and Bainey box

jrock

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
I gave Defiance a call and they told me they haven't looked into making their medium length action for a Bainey box. They said it might be possible to gunsmith it but they can't say for sure.

Has anyone tried to make a Bainey box fit with a Defiance medium action?

I didn't ask them if they made a box for their mediums. They do for their XMs. Its quite a bit more than using rem 700 SA parts.

I don't see why it wouldn't work, mill the bottom and shorten the bolt stop.
Has anyone done this? Defiance said they already shorten the bolt stop for the 3" box. They didn't know if there would be enough material left for the longer box.

As long as you don't hit the trigger pins you will be fine. Watch the Wyatt's video and see what you think;

I have a Bainey box I will sell for $55 shipped

I've done the Bainey box install on 700s. The side bolt release set up may not have the same range of adjustment as the rem 700s. I'll wait on ordering the bottom metal and box until I get the action in hand and can verify.

I have an action in hand. From measurements, it does appear the only modification required would be to lengthen the receiver mag opening length. The bolt stop has been modified for the 3" box but does not appear to require modification. I did notice that Defiance says the stock configuration is for center feed magazines. My understanding of the Bainey box is that it is a staggered feed. Not sure if it would work without putting all the parts together and trying.

A full cartridge will clear easily. The ejection port is plenty big to help save weight as well.

I have an action in hand. From measurements, it does appear the only modification required would be to lengthen the receiver mag opening length. The bolt stop has been modified for the 3" box but does not appear to require modification. I did notice that Defiance says the stock configuration is for center feed magazines. My understanding of the Bainey box is that it is a staggered feed. Not sure if it would work without putting all the parts together and trying.

What bottom metal are you using for this?

I want to install a Baney box on a Rem 700 SA to shoot 215s long.
Bought a Hawkins Obendorf BDL and the Baney box will not fit it. Not sure if material can be milled out of the BM to make it work.

Thanks for any help.