Defensive Edge vs Longshot vs Borden

Alan Griffith

In the very near future I plan on having either a 260 Ackley or 6.5x284 built.

I've narrowed it down to

1. Shawn Carlock's Defensive Edge Sheep Hunter

2. Chris Matthews built Longshot Rifles

3. Jim Borden's Light Hunting Rifle

I've only handled the Borden but read about all of them.

I want to keep this light. Maybe not NULA light but sub 8 lbs all up.

I've studied these three quite a bit but wanted to get your perspectives incase their is something I'm missing.

I'll more than likely put a VXIII 4.5-14x50 LR w/ M1 dials on it so I can reach out. This will be a hunting rig pure and simple with LR metal clanging secondary; but also important.

Alan,

You can of course set it up how you like, but I would recommend a smaller objective scope. With the 50mm you really should have a cheekpiece. A 40mm scope will allow you to stay low and omit the cheekpiece while still having a quality piece of glass. As far as the your choice between the three I would of course like your business but Chris and Jim both build great rifles.

I haven't had the chance to handel one of Shawn's rifles yet but I have had some work done to a shotgun barrel back when he was doing that kind of work and I coulden't be happier with it.
I have gotten to play with one of Chris Matthews guns and it was an awsome shooter and I have seen a couple of Jim Borden's guns and they are very nice also.

I'm sure that you will be happier with any of the three as well as afew of the other smiths here.

On your build , I would choose the 260Ai over the 6.5-284 as the small added velocity it offers over the 260 isin't worth the trouble setting up the SA fo feed it. You'll drop a few ounces over the LA with the SA and another few ounces if you have it "lightened" and the bolt lightened , set up as an ADL will save you some weight also. Using a set of the one piece Talley or Pierce ring/base aluminum mounts will save you alot of weight over a set of convientional steel rings and bases. Hightech Specialties sells a stock thats only 20ozs and is very rigid , Manners and Lone Wolf aslo have good light weight stocks. Not sure about the funds for this project but a carbon barrel from ABS would make a cool addition offering some stiffness and reduced weight.
I agree with Shawn about the Objective diameter , in most cases the 40mm will gather as much light as your eye can use especialy if you use a good scope like the upper end Leupolds , Khales , Ziess and so on.

I have one of Chris's rifles in a 7WSM and a couple of Borden builds both are great workmanship and performance. I don't have one of Shawn's yet, but based upon the comments from people here I am confident you can choose any of the 3 and be perfectly happy with your build. Start early and let them know exactly what you want. If you have questions ask up front. You will be happy!!!

Alan,

You can of course set it up how you like, but I would recommend a smaller objective scope. With the 50mm you really should have a cheekpiece. A 40mm scope will allow you to stay low and omit the cheekpiece while still having a quality piece of glass. As far as the your choice between the three I would of course like your business but Chris and Jim both build great rifles.

I was wondering how Shawn would respond to this post. I was expecting a list of reason why his rifle's are better, but that is not the case. Shawn, you are a class act.

I wish we were closer to each other geographicly. I am getting ready to sell some rack queens and have a rifle built, but I want to be there and see it happen. I love my Weatherbys and the data on the 338-378 is impresive, but I like your 338 EDGE even better being beltless. You know anywhere I can rent some reamers:p?

Rocky

Rocky,

Thanks for the complement. I build what I build and people like what they like. I have always felt my products stood my themselves. If the day ever came when I felt like I had to pick apart the others in the bussiness to sell a rifle, I'd quit. The reality of custom long range hunting rifles is that there is only a handfull of "really" good smiths out there specializing in them and none of them can get all the work they have now done.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.