Defensive Edge muzzle brake install

Re: At a loss... Defensive Edge muzzle brake install

Sir,

Rather than put it out here in the open forum, please address your concerns with Mr. Carlock privately. Just a suggestion though!

Things that come to mind.

1: There are many of these brakes out there running fine.

2: I would never tighten any brake as tight as indicated by the moved metal on the brake pictured. Shame on who did this.

3: It seems there was miscommunication on the inner diameter or your smith turned the ID. too large if there was not sufficient metal for integrity and a register to snug up to.

4: I would have first shown these pictures to Mr. Carlock and asked him what happened. I think he would probably shine light on the proper area's at fault.

5: I have had much dealing with DE, and Mr. Carlock. I rate DE machine work, design and rifles up there with or above any you can muster up.

FWIW

Jeff

Last edited:

Sir,

Rather than put it out here in the open forum, please address your concerns with Mr. Carlock privately. Just a suggestion though!

As I said, this is not meant to step on anyone's toes, I'm just asking for insight on what could have happened.

2: I would never tighten any brake as tight as indicated by the moved metal on the brake pictured. Shame on who did this.

3: It seems there was miscommunication on the inner diameter or your smith turned the ID. too large if there was not sufficient metal for integrity and a register to snug up to.

4: I would have first sown these pictures to Mr. Carlock and asked him what happened. I think he would probably shine light on the proper area's at fault.

5: I have had much dealing with DE, and Mr. Carlock. I rate DE machine work, design and rifles up there with or above any you can muster up.

FWIW

Jeff

I'm almost certain that the brake itself is/was perfectly fine and that it was a miscommunication with my gunsmith. I just figured there was one way to do this. Thank you for confirming my initial thoughts.

Hopefully Shawn will step in and put this to bed.

Just deleted my post as I see Broz covered it better than I could.

All I can say is I'm happy with my DE brake installed by another smith without complaint from him or me.

4: I would have first sown these pictures to Mr. Carlock and asked him what happened. I think he would probably shine light on the proper area's at fault.

FWIW

Jeff

Very well said Jeff!

lightbulbTo the OP, I guess you need a new gunsmith. lightbulb

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen. Looks like I'll be looking for another gunsmith.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.