Defensive Edge - LRH Reloading DVD

hello Shawn

sorry to ask again

do you received my email and/or my MP from this forum?

I really want your dvd for reload LRH :D

thank you

Michel C

Shawn,

I have not used micrometer seating dies. Am using a Forster seating die in my 338AX with the 300SMKs, loaded rounds are always within .0005 OAL with Stony Point comp--that could just be my lack of consistent measuring technique. Why would I need a micrometer seating die if I'm loading/seating bullets that consistently at the OAL I want to be at?

Do you find that the 300SMK likes to be at the lands for all/most of the chamberings you shoot it in? Is that pretty consistent across the board, or not?

How often do you anneal EDGE cases?

You do wipe off the Redding dry lube from the outside of the case, right?

Do you find that your tumbler/media does a good enough job removing case lube or do you wipe off the cases after case forming otherwise?

What tumbler media have you found that works the best for you?

What chronograph do you use?

Great video...glad someone finally did it, but the best part was your Dads 1314 bull elk shot at the end! Not to downplay your wonderful acting ability, but... :D

Jon

Jmden,

1. If you oal is that tight your good to go.
2. The 300 SMK seemsto run best at -005"-.010" butit is not very sensitive to OAL form what I have seen.
3. Never
4. No I just run them through the tumbler.
5. Walnut
6. Pro Chrono

Glad you liked it.

Jmden,

1. If you oal is that tight your good to go.
2. The 300 SMK seemsto run best at -005"-.010" butit is not very sensitive to OAL form what I have seen.
3. Never
4. No I just run them through the tumbler.
5. Walnut
6. Pro Chrono

Glad you liked it.

On the dry lube on the necks, I was asking if you wipe off the excess on the outside of the neck before chambering the round? I would guess you do.

I seem to be finding that the 300 SMK likes to be right on or just a couple of thou off the lands in the 338AX. Interesting. This is on of Kirby's 'modified hybrid' throats, but it just seems to like to be up close.

Shawn, how often do you clean the barrels on your EDGES? Do you have set number of round or do you use some other kind of indicator? Just curious...

Thanks

Well...ahem... (this is where I eat my words from a couple of posts back) did some more reloading last night and instead of spot checking a few for OAL with a Stony Point comparator, I checked every single one. Maybe I should've been doing that all along, as spot checking alone had shown me almost no variation in OAL, but checking every single reload I saw a total variation of about .002, not the .0005 I thought I'd been seeing. This with a Forster BR in line seating die. Then I sat there and adjusted the seating stem little by little to fix the few rounds that were not right on...hmmm.

I've ordered the Forster micrometer seating die conversion kit. Thanks for bringing this little detail to light for me, Shawn. Still plenty to learn.

Shawn, I noticed when your Dad was shooting in the Reloading video at that elk that you guys had the bipod up on a rock--a hard surface. I've felt that I've had trouble shooting consistently when the bipod is on a hard surface. Seems like it needs to be on something that gives it just a bit of give. Obviously, that worked for you guys. What's your take on bipods and the surface they are on?

Shawn,

My son is now sick of all of your videos! He can watch Barney 1000 times and never get sick of it. (he is 3 years old), but with your videos after about 3 times in row you really start losing him. have you considered wearing an outfit to entertain your younger fans?

I just watched the reloading video and I think you did a great job! just about every question I stopped by to ask you 1075, 338 edge rounds ago was answered in a little over 1 hour!!!

I have been using your simple methods for a quite some time now with great results. people are always asking me why i dont do this, or why i dont do that. My answer has always been: cause shawn told me i didnt have to!! anyway, another great product and a must see for anyone shooting at longer range distances.

also, great video of your dads bull, looking forward to volume 3!

Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.