Defective Nightforce NXS?

Greyfox

I have been working on a recently acquired Savage 111 FCP which I mounted a Nightforce NXS G7 5.5x22. After break in, and load work I was pleased get the rifle shooting consistent .25-.5 MOA. After about 100 rounds my groups became very sporadic. A couple of shots would group, then a couple would land several inches away(200 yards). After racking my brains and checking bedding, scope mounts, loads, etc, this continued for three trips to the range and was getting progressively worse. The thought of my NF being the cause didn't even cross my mind since I have owned 5, all being perfect. The tip off while shooting was that while I use a scope level, visually it appeared unlevel on some shots. After shooting a 5 inch group and being frustrated after once again checking my bedding and mounts with carefully prepared loads, I decided to raise my scope elevation 8 clicks. The next four shots went into a tight group exactly where I would have expected them to based on my original zero when the rifle was shooting well. The next group began flying again. I became suspect of the scope. For my next trip to the range I mounted an old Leupold Mark 4, 8x25 M1 that has been well proven. After zeroing I proceeded to shoot 15 rounds into an inch at 200 yards. Sure looks like a defective scope. Any one seen this with their NF?

Never owned one. I use the Leupold MK4 also and never had an issue, but sure sounds like your issues are related to your scope and would send it in for check. Good luck.

the diffrence between top end companys and lower end companies is not nessessarly that they never have issues, its how the company deals with the issues when they pop up. nightforce scopes dont have issues to often, but when they do you will be pleased with nightforces service unlike alot of companies

If you're gun keeps shooting well with the Leupold, you might as well send the NF in for inspection and repair, since failing scopes can be difficult and time consuming to diagnose. Also, you've already lost confidence in this NF, and that confidence won't be restored until the factory checks it out and gives it a "thumbs-up".

the diffrence between top end companys and lower end companies is not nessessarly that they never have issues, its how the company deals with the issues when they pop up. nightforce scopes dont have issues to often, but when they do you will be pleased with nightforces service unlike alot of companies

I agree that service response is important, and problems can slip through the process. I have never had to use NF service, but to be frank, when you are spending $2000 for a scope I don't expect to. I'm wondering if NF quality is slipping compared to a few years back. My last purchase a year ago, was Benchrest model that, while it performs fine, I was not that impressed. The objective mounted parallax adjustment when adjusted for 300 yards, reads 225 yards on the scale. The finish was not great either. Not a big deal, but I expect that lack of attention to detail from scopes costing half as much.

I'm wondering if NF quality is slipping compared to a few years back.

I have used NF for well over 10 years so far with no problems. Probably 6 different scopes, maybe more. I have no way of really knowing if there has been a drop in quality but I highly doubt it.

But --- Kathy and I had a four hour tour of the factory in Orofino, ID in August. I will be writing about my experience in December when I am done traveling for a little while.

I went there sort of expecting to be impressed with how they approach quality control. But I was really blown away with the effort they put into quality. Simply amazing. And the word amazing is so often over used lately.

In recent years their sales and profits have gone up a lot and it looks to me as though they are investing a huge portion of the increase in quality equipment and systems.

They check each and every scope for quality upon completion and I was given an unusually thorough tour and explanation of the manufacturing and QC processes. I don't think many visitors have ever had quite that experience. In fact, we had to sign a nondisclosure agreement before the tour began.

I have used NF for well over 10 years so far with no problems. Probably 6 different scopes, maybe more. I have no way of really knowing if there has been a drop in quality but I highly doubt it.

But --- Kathy and I had a four hour tour of the factory in Orofino, ID in August. I will be writing about my experience in December when I am done traveling for a little while.

I went there sort of expecting to be impressed with how they approach quality control. But I was really blown away with the effort they put into quality. Simply amazing. And the word amazing is so often over used lately.

In recent years their sales and profits have gone up a lot and it looks to me as though they are investing a huge portion of the increase in quality equipment and systems.

They check each and every scope for quality upon completion and I was given an
unusually thorough tour and explanation of the manufacturing and QC processes. I don't think many visitors have ever had quite that experience. In fact, we had to sign a nondisclosure agreement before the tour began.

That's good to hear Len. As I mentioned in my post, I have owned quite a few over the tears as well, all performing flawlessly. When I planned out my 338 Lapua I felt the heavy recoil combined the extended long range intention would require a NF because of it's ruggedness and precision. I'm planning to giving NF a call Monday to arrange for the repair of the scope. I am looking forward to reading your write up of the tour. Art

I have owned 12 Nightforce scopes and still own 7. I have had several problems over the years that seemed to point toward the scope. Ultimately, all of the problems were found to be non Nightforce scope related. I have been very impressed with their products and technical assistance. Please keep us posted with the results. Gary Campbell

I have owned 12 Nightforce scopes and still own 7. I have had several problems over the years that seemed to point toward the scope. Ultimately, all of the problems were found to be non Nightforce scope related. I have been very impressed with their products and technical assistance. Please keep us posted with the results. Gary Campbell

My problem sure seems like the scope but before I send it in I'm going to try it on one of my proven rifles...just to confirm it isn't something screwy with the rifle. I have also had such good luck with NF that I find it hard to accept I got a bad one.

I have owned a few NXS, still own a half dozen, and I have had problems out of a couple of them. Just a week or two ago I was having problems with a rifle and began to doubt my scope when I shot a 5 inch group at 100 yards. I swapped scopes bore sighted it and fired one round. I then dialed tot he bullet hole and shot a 3 shot group with a mixture of fireforming and fireformed rounds. Yea I think it was the 5.5x22.

20121018_153543.jpg

I have owned a few NXS, still own a half dozen, and I have had problems out of a couple of them. Just a week or two ago I was having problems with a rifle and began to doubt my scope when I shot a 5 inch group at 100 yards. I swapped scopes bore sighted it and fired one round. I then dialed tot he bullet hole and shot a 3 shot group with a mixture of fireforming and fireformed rounds. Yea I think it was the 5.5x22.

This is exactly what mine is doing. Did it just start doing this? How old is the scope?
Mine was bought within the the last six months, but I just mounted it a month ago. It worked fine for about 100 rounds, then went south.

Greyfox mine is a three year old plain jane 5.5x22. I have used it as a "shop" scope for a while so it has been on a bunch of different rifles including some heavy kickers with aggressive brakes. I really cannot say that I expect any scope to hold up as much punishment as I have put it through. I took it off of a braked 7mm-338 lapua a while back and put it on a non braked 30-338 lapua improved. I went on an oryx hunt earlier this year and killed an oryx using that scope. I was starting to get ready for some elk hunting when I realized it was busted. I knew something was up when I missed my six hundred yard steel.

Don't worry, in general they are very tough scopes and NXS makes it good when you send them a busted one.

I ended up sending my Nightforce in to be checked out. I'll start by saying that the overall experience with the support department at NF was quite impressive. The gentleman I spoke to really knew his stuff! We went though all the aspects of my shooting results, mounts, bedding, results when I tested the rifle with another scope etc. The most interesting part of the discussion was that he stated they have never had a scope mechanically exhibit POI variations at +2-3MOA that I experienced, and, quite similar to that shown on Eddybo's target in the prior post in this thread. Variations from mechanical issues are in the less then 1.5 MOA range. He felt that the type of variation I have would be mount or bedding related. I also believed that, and after two checks on this that indicated no movement, and a scope change which ended up giving me several groups at my original accuracy, he sensed my loss of confidence. and offered to do a full double blind test on the scope which he said would absolutely indicate an issue with the scope. He felt the probem might be fixed by going to NF rings, but my steel MK 4's showed no movement as far as I could see. The only wild card in this was that he said that my Mark 4 scope being lighter in weight may not be shifting under recoil while the heavier NF could. I was not inclined to throw more money into NF mounts at this unless they confirm the scope is not my problem and I retest it on my rifle. As stated previously, the quality of the service responsiveness is top notch with customer satisfaction being top priorty!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.