Deer with a Hornaday BTHP Match??

ShootnMathews

Anyone every shoot a deer with a Hornaday BTHP Match in the range of 175 grains?? Not starting a debate on whether match bullets are ethical for hunting. I know all about that and don't need those comments. I just want to know if anyone has done it and how the bullet preformed. I've read a lot about the big bore, heavy SMK bullets working as well as hunting bullets and such. Wanted to know if anyone has tried these. Again I'll repeat that I know these are match bullets and not hunting and there's all kinds of "hunting" bullets on the market. Please do not leave those comments

My load is a .312 dia. 174 grain at 2800 fps just for comparison.

I shot a large deer buck one time with a Hornady 168 grn BTHP match. One of the dumbest things I ever did. The bullet exploded on the shoulder. Didn't penetrate making only a large surface wound. The deer ran another 100 yards and stopped. I shot again and hit in the front shoulder. It went down. As I approached it, it got up and started to running. I shot again hitting it in the gut. It stopped looking at me broadside. I shot again and hit it in the neck killing it. I was so ****ed at myself. Except for the neck shot, none of them penetrated. If it would've been tree's/timber, I probably woulda lost that buck. I took all of the loaded shells and pulled the bullets and traded them for some primers.

Do not get me wrong, I really like Hornady bullets. I shot deer last year with the 162 amx and it went off like it wasn't even hit. A 45-70 finished it off. Use these target bullets for there intended purpose. I truly believe if you want to use Hornady bullets the interbond and the GMX are great hunter/killers

I've shot several deer with the law enforcement Hornady 168 BTHP TAP bullets out of a 308 Win. Worked perfectly. Then again, I don't go for meat shots like alot of folks do...I shoot right behind the shoulder in that divot and get both lungs and the heart.....Works perfect every time.

I've had more deer run further from cheap lead SP bullets than anything else. Which is why I stoped shooting them years and years ago.

Everyone has what thry believe in and what works for them. That's why there's so many different brands and models of bullets, powders, primers, cases, and calibers out there...

Thanks everyone for the responses. I myself always go for a double lung shot. I hear lots of people swearing by shoulder shots and neck shots and such.... Not for me. You take out the power plant and the lights go out everytime.. Guaranteed. I've heard of targetbullets not expanding. Blowing up with near no penetration is new to me.

Thanks again. Hope some more chime in

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2008Intl/Roberts.pdf

If you lack patience, scroll down to page 21 and 22. Apparently the Mil found 175gr SMK's to be inconsistent, sometimes fragmenting, sometimes not. The 155gr Hornady match bullet was apparently more consistent.

Deer have hardly been hard to kill in my experience. I have had a doe with a double lung run more than 100 yards before she realized she was dead (50 cal ML) but they do not know they are mortal. The test results on the ballistic gel show over penetration, if anything. Not blowing up like a varmint bullet (but they did not test the 168gr Hornady).

Getting a good hit is a big part of the puzzle. The 175 SMK has been issued to US snipers for a long time now for use on "dangerous game" that shoots back, so I have faith in it taking out a little whitetail.

I have heard the same thing......SMK being in consistant and the Hornaday expansion being mush more consistant.

Hornaday actually lists the amax as a match /hunting bullet. I've seen a lot of kills with it at long range. I think even the gunwerks guys hunt with them in some guns.

Thanks again everyone

I did it two years ago with a 208 grain bthp in a 300 win mag. Deer was quatering away hard at a whopping 60 yards. Aimed at offside shoulder, instant gunshot. Bullet fragmented violently causing a large short wound channel. The bullet never reached the vitals. Deer made it 200 yards leaving a massive blood trail and various organs along trail. With that said I would use it again and be smarter about bullet placement. At short ranges do not expect much penetration. Of you want to keep the shoulder meat its probably not the bullet for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.