Deer supplements

That's a great plan. I've tried that, but my cows know what cottonseed is and they tear down the deer pen to get to it.
We've had that problem as well.....we've beefed up the bull panel pens with twice as many t posts and it's kept them out for the most part....once in a while, we'll have a few get in!

That's good to know about the cotton seed. Where I hunt we have a lot of cotton fields so maybe I could work out a deal with some of the farmers for their leftover cotton seeds.

Check out QDMA minerals for whitetails (google it)mineral blocks are not the best way for deer to get the minerals they need. For the last 20+ years I have been using a recipe that I got from QDMA. 2, 50 pound bags of trace minerals a 50 pound bag of Dical-phosphate and a 50 pound bag of stock salt mixed.
For a couple of years I was going through 400 pounds of the mix yearly
along Minnesota's North Shore of Lake Superior.

T.P.

If you shoot does you are killing one, two, three or more of the potential targets for the next several years. Kill a small buck if you want meat.

Brown mineral blocks are out for most of the year, starting about now. They are pretty much depleted by October.

I don't feed protein or corn. I'm lucky as my property is along a major creek and has ag on both sides.

Last edited:
I would love to try it but I cant find it around here in West Virginia
I have to special order it. But ended up just taking a trailer when I head south and bring enough for a long go. You can sub other pellets its just cottonseed is a good profile for the $.

Remember the bucks really need the extra fuel after the rut to recover.

If you shoot does you are killing one, two, three or more of the potential targets for the next several years. Kill a small buck if you want meat.

That all depends on the state of your herd. If numbers over all are low true but in a healthy herd where your trying to improve the quality of the bucks you do not want a huge doe to buck ratios. Bucks many times can never fully recovery all the energy spent jumping does are going ******* crazy if there are 10-20+ doe to every breeding capable buck.

If numbers are low absolutely leave the doe alone and in a yr the numbers will explode.

Every area can be different. The hunters in Tx would kill to have the number of deer/acre we have up here.

We feed Protein and Cottonseed year round.....Cottonseed is a "Game Changer"!!
I read an article that said you shouldn't feed cottonseed during breeding season because it creates a sterile state in buck deer and breeding is affected I researched feeding it and seen that when I googled it so I backed off of trying it. David

I read an article that said you shouldn't feed cottonseed during breeding season because it creates a sterile state in buck deer and breeding is affected I researched feeding it and seen that when I googled it so I backed off of trying it. David
The cottonseed we feed has low levels of gossypol which won't affect fertility! We've been feeding it for many years with no reduction in fawn crops!

That's great I was going to try some in Kansas then I read that and it scared me off because our deer is under so much pressure with easy tags and having a doe season after a lot of our bucks shed. David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.