Deer Performance report on Nosler J4's

W

*WyoWhisper*

Deer Performance report on Nosler J4\'s

Well DC, Boyd I'll goto the other site to see your pics. Still catching up here as I got home last evening early but .. spent some time with the Honey
grin.gif
wink.gif

I took a management deer of sort this year and sacraficed my tag. this deer was a nice 6 point but had been hit by a can along the lines and had a shattered left rear leg. The deer had been loosing a tremendous amount of weight and I ended the suffering instantly. The deer was shot at about 80 yards with my 308. I was using the 168 grn Nosler J4 pushed at about 2700 fps.The deer was shot broadside. The exit wound was about 2" and the lungs/heart were shattered from the hydrolic concussion. I looked like crazy to try to find the bullet but could not. The ddeer took 1 step after impact but that might have been due to momentum as he was attempting to walk.

It did not apear that the bullet "exploaded" there were no fragments found of any significance inside the animal. (2 small, small pieces of copper) I would say this bullet mushroomed properly.

Re: Deer Performance report on Nosler J4\'s

WyoWisper
Congratulations on the buck. It would be hard not to shoot a deer that was suffering. Sounds like the J4 worked good. Would like to see pics of the deer and the wound.
Crow Mag

Ric--
I took two bucks this year with the Nosler 168 gr. J4--I had the same type performance. No bullet blow-up, just a good wound channel and lots of blood. Congrats...

Wyo, you had to sacrifice your tag?

In New York we can call the game warden and he will take the deer, but you still have a tag.

Unfortunately you can't keep the meat.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.