Deer, not long range

I looked this up but didn't get the answer I needed. I saw your for sale thread and it was touched on but the real question for me; is the Serengeti chamber worth it for factory ammo? Does it improve enough to make it worth the cost of the gunsmith?
I have a 30.06 x bolt, thought about selling it because I plan to buy a caliber better suited for longer shots at big game.

I looked this up but didn't get the answer I needed. I saw your for sale thread and it was touched on but the real question for me; is the Serengeti chamber worth it for factory ammo? Does it improve enough to make it worth the cost of the gunsmith?
I have a 30.06 x bolt, thought about selling it because I plan to buy a caliber better suited for longer shots at big game.

Let me try the split neck 215 dummy in my sporter 1903a3 with a commercial barrel.

Here are some pictures. The split neck dummy was set from Serengeti chamber just touching the land. I chambered it in the 1903a3, no change in CBTO. I never established the where the throat starts, as I am limited to 1903a3 mag length ammo, which I shoot 175 TMKs. The barrel was given to me, and timed to near perfect H/S. With Scotch tape on the back of the GO, bolt will not close.

In conclusion, I believe the 1903a3 throat is the same or longer than the Serengeti. Your chamber may be different.

FYI, I am running a Wyatt box in a BDL bottom on the R700.

If you want I can send you a handful of 215 to check the chamber in your barrel. Size a case or two to read zero on the RCBS Precision Mic or equivalent to check CBTO with whatever method you use.
20221230_210751.jpg
20221230_211257.jpg
20221230_211146.jpg

I believe the real enablers to run at the velocity are the following: The high energy N560 and the short bearing surface of the 215s. The 215 boat tail junction seating above the shoulder to neck junction freeing bolier room capacity is another factor.

Last edited:
How stable is the load/system?

54 grains of RL17 has the ssame velocity/performance as 59.5 grains of N560. The latter appears to get to the same velocity at a lower pressure.

I use 2835 for ballistics calculations as this is the average of multiple cold bores across a few months.

Last edited:
Great setup, 215's at 2835 are formidable to a long way out there!

Is your load with N560 compressed at all?

Congratulations on the fine harvest.

Here are some pictures. The split neck dummy was set from Serengeti chamber just touching the land. I chambered it in the 1903a3, no change in CBTO. I never established the where the throat starts, as I am limited to 1903a3 mag length ammo, which I shoot 175 TMKs. The barrel was given to me, and timed to near perfect H/S. With Scotch tape on the back of the GO, bolt will not close.

In conclusion, I believe the 1903a3 throat is the same or longer than the Serengeti. Your chamber may be different.

If you want I can send you a handful of 215 to check the chamber in your barrel. Size a case or two to read zero on the RCBS Precision Mic or equivalent to check CBTO with whatever method you use.
View attachment 423241View attachment 423242View attachment 423243

I believe the real enablers to run at the velocity are the following: The high energy N560 and the short bearing surface of the 215s. The 215 boat tail junction seating above the shoulder to neck junction freeing bolier room capacity is another factor.
Bamban
Happy Healthy Prosperous New Year to you and your family!
Where did you get that bullet gauge and who makes it?
Thnaks
Len & Jill

View attachment 423241View attachment 423242View attachment 423243

Bamban, did you make that bullet comparator? Like that is so slim and never seen it before