Deer Jerky

You may have earlier in the thread, may I ask again? What is your liquid solution?

This is the marinade recipe for my Jerky (deer or elk).

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup worchestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Accent
2 teaspoons Seasoned salt
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix well

Slice meat into 3/4 inch thick slices, pat dry with paper towel, then place in marinade. Put container of meat/marinade in refrigerator.
Let meat marinate in the liquid at least overnight (sometimes I let it soak 48 hours).
After soaking, let it drain in a collander. Try to remove as much liquid as possible. I use paper towels to dry it.

Put toothpick through meat, and hang on top rack of oven. No heat yet, let it drip (about an hour or so) after lining the bottom of the oven with a paper towel lined pan to catch the drippings.
Remove the wet paper towels, and turn on the oven to 170*. I use the "keep warm" cycle, and it is perfect. Heat in the oven 4 to 6 hours or until it reaches your desired texture. Mine is perfect after 5 hours. I have an electric oven. Should be similar times with a gas oven.
After letting it cool, I store it in plastic peanut (Planters) jars. I put a small non-toxic desiccant pack in each jar to control the moisture. I bought those on Ebay, got 50 of them for about $3.00

Last edited:

1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons Accent
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix well

Slice meat into 3/4 inch thick slices, pat dry with paper towel, then place in marinade. Put container of meat/marinade in refrigerator.
Let meat marinate in the liquid at least overnight (sometimes I let it soak 48 hours).
After soaking, let it drain in a collander. Try to remove as much liquid as possible. I use paper towels to dry it.

Put toothpick through meat, and hang on top rack of oven. No heat yet, let it drip (about an hour or so) after lining the bottom of the oven with a paper towel lined pan to catch the drippings.
Remove the wet paper towels, and turn on the oven to 170*. I use the "keep warm" cycle, and it is perfect. Heat in the oven 4 to 6 hours or until it reaches your desired texture. Mine is perfect after 5 hours. I have an electric oven. Should be similar times with a gas oven.
After letting it cool, I store it in plastic peanut (Planters) jars. I put a small non-toxic desiccant pack in each jar to control the moisture. I bought those on Ebay, got 50 of them for about $3.00

1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons Accent
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix well

Do you use a sodium nitrate salt for preserving?

Do you use a sodium nitrate salt for preserving?
No. Just reguIar table salt. I have been using this recipe for at least 40 years. I have never had a problem with it concerning souring, getting moldy, or going bad. Once the jerky is dried in the oven, I make sure it's cool before I put it in the plastic jars. I started using the desicant packs about 4 years ago.

Back from CO, no elk. Got my dehydrator a couple of days ago. Had to settle on beef for test run.

Screenshot_20221106-181738_Chrome.jpg

20221107_190607.jpg

20221108_022046.jpg

Deer season opened last Saturday, did not even bother to go. Too hot. This weekend will harvest one or two and turn them both into jerky.

1/2 cup soy sauce
2 teaspoons Accent
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix well

@Laelkhunter Do you realy cut it 3/4" thick? not 1/4" thick

No, I was wrong. I usually cut it in 1/2 inch thick strips. I cut it by hand, so trying to cut it thinner than that is difficult for me. After it dries in the oven, the shrinkage of the meat makes it about 1/4 inch thick (approx). I don't like it too thin, it becomes brittle. I prefer to be able to break it off (bite it) and chew it. Sorry, not sure what I was thinking when I put 3/4 inch.
I was going to edit it and correct it to 1/2 inch, but the edit feature was not available.

No, I was wrong. I usually cut it in 1/2 inch thick strips. I cut it by hand, so trying to cut it thinner than that is difficult for me. After it dries in the oven, the shrinkage of the meat makes it about 1/4 inch thick (approx). I don't like it too thin, it becomes brittle. I prefer to be able to break it off (bite it) and chew it. Sorry, not sure what I was thinking when I put 3/4 inch.
I was going to edit it and correct it to 1/2 inch, but the edit feature was not available.
Thanks for the clarification. I just made some today, bought a used large cabela's dehydrator a couple of years back, and tried it forst time today. I made mine too brittle. Next time, I will cut it thicker and leave it in dehydrator 1 1/2 - 2 hours less. Just trying and learning.

I soak mine in the marinade for a few days and leave it sopping wet when I put it on the smoker. Usually 2 to 3 hours on the smoke setting is all it needs. It will spoil faster, but is way more pliable and enjoyable to chew compared to the hard tack I've had brought to me.

Anyone has a good recipe for venison link sausage, looking for a japaeno and cheese, and also sweet chipotle.

Curious, but how do you know/test if the meat is completely dehydrated?
My sons start snacking on them before then. I do not like mine completely dehydrated. I usually do a taste/texture test which coincides with my sons' snack time. L🤣L! I also prefer to use the ground for jerky and save the prime cuts for better dining.

I'm able to cut it between a 1/8" to 1/4", I do it while the meat is still some what frozen. If the meat is thawed, forget it.